• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Changing vets, questions to ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've found a vet not too far (well in the car lol) away that says
*Birds / Exotic Pets
*All Small Animals

I'm thinking of switching the guineas to them.

Is it best to go in to the surgery or phone them? And what questions should I ask to see if they're cavy savvy?

Thanks
Nat :)

I've only switched vets once. We initially had the vet from the pet shop and then we moved to one closer. The website said it dealt with exotics and small pets.

What I did was get them booked in for an initial check up (but we only have two piggies so moght not be a good idea money-wise if you want to take more). I knew immediately I would be happy there. Sarah, our new vet did the usual listening to heart, chest, gut etc. Then she used a scope to look in their mouths and check their teeth and then told us that it's good when the piggy's mouth is full of food, told us things to look for on a routine basis, wieghed them and generally seemed confident and competent. I don't think we would have got that without going down there. You will definitely feel more comfortable just seeing the vet around your piggies (or just one). You know you get a sense how they are very quickly and this is just as important, if not more, than if they can answer questions over the phone :)

Hope that helps :)

A cavy savy vet is so Important, I thought my vet was cavy savy I was so wrong!

I found a vet on GuineaLynx he had actually did a thread posting that he liked Guinea Pigs, so straight away he has an interest and he knows about Guinea Pigs, I had an ill pig so I took her but spoke to him firstly on the phone and booked an appointment.

When I went he was fabulous, and clearly knew about Guinea Pigs, he does teeth and xrays without Ga. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back