• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Chinchillas northen Ireland?

Skullblits

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Anyone know where a good place would be to buy them?

Seems there all over in England

I’m in England but I haven’t seen them in pet shops around my area for many years. There must be breeders around though because I see them occasionally in my local rescue centre. They are such long lived little animals (around 20 years), incredibly lively, noisy, and all the sand can be messy and I think mostly they end up in rescues because of people don’t realise just how much hard work they are for such tiny little creatures - much like most small animals really. I rescued mine from a friend who could no longer cope with him (he’s long gone now though :()

There are breeders around, I'd definitely recommend rehoming/adopting them though.
As @Piggies&buns says, there are a lot that end up in rescues as people don't realise how much care they do need. Live very long lives, can be pretty messy, have pretty strict diets and VERY intelligent so need lots of stimulation, toys, wood and lots to keep them busy or can get very miserable. Up at night and can be very noisy!
In the summer they need extra care to keep cool, in winter they need to be out of the way of radiators etc in cooler rooms.

They're not something to take on lightly! I've had my lad over eight years, now he's alone I have to spend a lot of time with him. They run around and jump at a crazy speed and cause a bit of mayhem so you'd need a place that's safe for them, also lots of mess to clean up after having their sand baths!
Brilliant animals but need lots of time and care :)

Can't help you because I am in the US, but I do see them quite often at the local pet shops near my area in Michigan.
They are brilliant but I currently take care of 8 small pets, 2 guinea pigs and 6 hamsters, bless them.

Well the pets at home leaflet is very misleading. It says there quiet and very clean.

We where just looking into it. Turns out there really hard to get over here.

Probably hard to get here (without using a rescue) as well. I wouldn’t know where to start if I wanted another one (if it wasn’t a rescue).

They are absolutely fantastic little animals but the leaflet doesn’t sound like it reflects true life with chinchillas. They are noisy, they do make a mess, are incredibly fast and can be destructive if they get to wooden furniture! As mentioned above, definitely don’t take them on lightly.

Mine used to wake me up in the night! He was downstairs at the other end of the house and I could still hear him, running about, chewing etc! Clean - well, they are in themselves clean, but when they have their sand baths it’s like taking 25 three years olds to a beach! I tried numerous sand bath houses and it still ended up absolutely Everywhere because he would jump out, shake and it would fly out of his fur! Like all small animals, a cage is not enough. Chinchillas are incredibly fast and need a lot of exercise. They can jump up to 6ft. They are also very small bodied under all that fur and can squeeze through very small gaps - the amount of times we had to prod mine out from behind cabinets that we thought we had blocked up! When mine was let out in the living room, it took three of us to get him back into his cage, he would easily jump four feet up onto the back of the sofa, run across the top, down the other side and escape before we could get near him! In the end it was easier to let him wear himself out (which took several hours) and wait until he took himself back off to his cage and then lock him back in! He was absolutely amazing though. Having him leap up onto the sofa and come and sit on my shoulder was just my favourite way to spend an evening!

We tried chinchillas briefly in 2005 but the mess they make with their dust bath is unbelievable and my daughter was allergic to their fur... and/or the dust bath stuff... we rehomed them with a german colleague who was a big chinchilla fan no problem but they were much more mess than piggies or degus!

Yes the leaflet sounds like when they're sleeping, sweet and quiet and then it gets to night and they start the crazy chin behaviour!
They are clean animals, tend to have toilet spots in cage for a pee etc, but when you've got a chin out for playtime that can jump so high pooping as much as a pig that tends to fly around too! Along with the sand!
The cage can be spotless but by the morning looks like you haven't cleaned it in a week! Throw hay everywhere and chew toys and love trashing the place! While making as much noise as poss banging around, if more than one they'll 'chat' and tell each other off, have been woken up many times in the early hrs with alarm calls!
And great escape artists like @Piggies&buns said! My female wasn't too bad, Pedro loves getting where he shouldn't (and can because so quick!).
A few years ago he managed to get into my kitchen behind the washing machine, there's a tiny gap at the back of my cabinets. 30mins later he still wasn't out, I panicked thinking rat poison might be under there or something! Sat for ages calling him and shaking treats etc, would only come out when I left the room and he started having a snoop around! Very sneaky sometimes! :)

Sounds like our boys would have got on great @Piggies&buns! :)

Sounds like I avoided a bullet there. They sound like a nightmare abit. Lol

We used to have chinchillas called Bongo and Buckles, they were so messy but very cute!

Sounds like I avoided a bullet there. They sound like a nightmare abit. Lol

They are great and I got used to all the mad things after a while but some people probably wouldn't put up with some of it! I just loved them!
They're so funny and do such silly things sometimes. But then also get bad habits like trying to rip the wallpaper off or chew corner of skirting boards! Have to keep an eye on them! :)

We live in a smallish flat. We have are 2 piggies and a Syrian hamster.

My gf wants to start a animal farm lol.

But from the sounds of things they do sound abit much. Glad I asked here first

Well the pets at home leaflet is very misleading. It says there quiet and very clean.
I wouldn't trust the P@H leaflet if it hit me in the face.

This is what is says on the website about Guinea Pigs.....

"Guinea pigs are cute and cuddly pets, and can be the perfect for younger children"

Er..... No Cute they may be, cuddly only after a lot of hard work and even then some are never cuddly and certainly not for young children!

Lol that's silly.

I've had mine near a month now.
They still won't come near me I had one grab some herbs from a tunnel from me. Lol I was chuffed

Back