Chipychanga made it thru his dental surgery!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PingandChipy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I had to take Chipychanga in to the Vets today to get his malloclussion fixed. I was very nervous and still am regarding his recovery but he made it through the anesthetic fine! He is resting and waking up right now at the Vets. I can pick him up about 3pm if all is well. I'll be receiving a phone call his afternoon from the Vet to explain exactly what was done.

Here is a picture of Chipy:
chipy-1.jpg

Please send him get well vibes :)

Thanks!
Lynn

Sarah from Chucklebunnies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Lots of get well vibes from my girls - they would like to remind him to wheek for special treats as much as possible after going through such a hideous experience!

eva

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
get well vibes are being sent from me and mine.

katiepops

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Lots of healing vibes coming your way x
I know how worrying it is knowing your piggy is having a GA from Hector being in today for neutering.

PingandChipy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Waiting on pins and needles for the Vet to call and tell me exactly what they ended up doing!

PingandChipy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So the Vet called and apparently everything went smoothly except she said she accidentally clipped one of his back teeth too short and clipped his gum.
:(

She said she is sending him home with painkillers and antibiotics. she thinks he will be fine but just incase she doesn't want him to get an infection. He goes back in 2 weeks for a check up and if all is fine he goes back again for a checkup in 6 weeks.

I hope he'll be okay. I'm going to pick a bunch of dandelion leaves for him. She said to soak his pellets as well.
Oh and he is being send home with Critical Care as well.

Last edited:

PingandChipy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Chipychanga home yet?

Hiya! Yep he's home now. A little groggy but walking about and eating, but eating very, very slow. I have given him fresh grass, dandlions, romaine lettuce and his pellets have been softened with warm water, but he also has some hard pellets as well.

I gave him his first dose of antibiotics. I give it twice per day and his metacam twice a day as well. The Vet also gave me a type of morphine that he can have tomorrow up to 3 times a day. I hope he's going to be okay.

They have critical care that I can buy if he needs it. I left it at the moment because it was already over $300. They are only a block away from me and open Sunday as well.

Is this a good sign that he'll be okay, that he is eating? I hope so. So scary all this stuff!:...

PingandChipy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So he is picking up hay and chewing and chewing and chewing and it doesn't go down! I'm really concerned.

I was able to find some old critical care I had, thank goodness not expired, and gave him some. He ate that fine but he does seem in pain. I'm looking forward to giving him his pain meds tomorrow morning.

Any ideas why he can't actually chew up the hay?

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
WELL DONE CHIPY xoxoxoxoxoxo

Sorry to hear about his molar :(
Weigh him daily at the same time so you'll know how he's going :)
I used to also syringe or encourage extra water too.
You can chop up his veg smaller or cut into thin strips so easier for him to manage.
His poops maybe a little softer to start off with but once his eating habits are back to normal all should be fine, this is just from my experience with a dental piggie :)

HUGS for you to love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PingandChipy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
WELL DONE CHIPY xoxoxoxoxoxo

Sorry to hear about his molar :(
Weigh him daily at the same time so you'll know how he's going :)
I used to also syringe or encourage extra water too.
You can chop up his veg smaller or cut into thin strips so easier for him to manage.
His poops maybe a little softer to start off with but once his eating habits are back to normal all should be fine, this is just from my experience with a dental piggie :)

HUGS for you to love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Awe Chipy says thanks. :)
Would you have any idea why Chipy would chew and chew and chew and not be able to get a piece of hay down?

So worried!

CandyFloss

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Maybe his mouth is too sore at the moment ? Or maybe the tooth thats too short isnt helping ?

Hope everything is okay. My Toffee is going to get hers done today so know what you are going through... its always a worry.

When Toffee got her teeth done the first time (no GA) her tongue got a cut in it and she got painkillers and antibiotics too so sounds like your vet is going down the same route which is good. Toffee did end up with an abscess though - I dont know if it was related to the cut or the dental but it appeared just after the dental work/cut and she needed a further op to cut it out.....and a lot more drugs.... so just keep a close eye on him.

Healing vibes coming from here,

xx

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
It may be that the teeth are not completely even yet after the treatment.

I hope that Chipy will be OK, though! It is a good sign that he has interest in food despite his pain. Please weigh him daily to make sure that he is eating enough.

PingandChipy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
He isn't eating. I'm so upset and feel like I wish I just left him as he is. He isn't able to pick things up properly and when he does, he just chews and chews and chews and isn't able to swallow. I feel terrible. I'm taking him back to the vets in a half an hour. I called and she would like to see him.

I was feeding him the critical care via syringe and he isn't even swallowing that. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.