• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Christmas tree thread

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Okay, there has to be some keen people out there! Who has their Christmas Tree up yet?

If you do post it here for us all to see :)

We get a live one, so have to wait another week or so otherwise it will be a dead twig by Christmas!

But our tree going up (in our front bay window) always raises a lot of interest and comments on our street, as here no one puts their tree up until much later in December.
Many families in our area still believe that the Christkind (Christ child) decorates the tree and leaves the presents - a traditional Father Christmas dressed in red isn't really a big thing here.
On the 24th Dec the Christkind will come to your house, decorate (or indeed bring) the tree, and leave yhe presents underneath.
The guy in red (St. Nicholas) is a totally different thing and actually comes on the 6th Dec. He doesn't give you stuff for free - if he does visit your house (along with his super scary sidekick) then all the children have to say a poem or sing a song before they get a sack of fruit, sweets, nuts and a small gift. He also carries a book listing the things your children have done well in the past year, and areas where they can improve.
Even as an adult I still find St Nick and his companion quite intimidating.
As our girls are older now St Nicholas no longer visits us - we just leave our boots out on the mat and he fills then while we sleep.

I would have mine up the first weekend of December if it were just up to me but it's not so have to nag the husband til he gives in :))

I might put it up on Sunday...😁

I have helped put one up at work today-feels wring in November. Be sure to post photos of yours if you do
Mine will be up by Sunday...guaranteed as the 1st falls on the weekend. Can’t wait! X
Cool! Photos needed here!
We get a live one, so have to wait another week or so otherwise it will be a dead twig by Christmas!

But our tree going up (in our front bay window) always raises a lot of interest and comments on our street, as here no one puts their tree up until much later in December.
Many families in our area still believe that the Christkind (Christ child) decorates the tree and leaves the presents - a traditional Father Christmas dressed in red isn't really a big thing here.
On the 24th Dec the Christkind will come to your house, decorate (or indeed bring) the tree, and leave yhe presents underneath.
The guy in red (St. Nicholas) is a totally different thing and actually comes on the 6th Dec. He doesn't give you stuff for free - if he does visit your house (along with his super scary sidekick) then all the children have to say a poem or sing a song before they get a sack of fruit, sweets, nuts and a small gift. He also carries a book listing the things your children have done well in the past year, and areas where they can improve.
Even as an adult I still find St Nick and his companion quite intimidating.
As our girls are older now St Nicholas no longer visits us - we just leave our boots out on the mat and he fills then while we sleep.
OMG St Nick sounds worrying. Who is his companion?
I like the fact he seems however to give Positive feedback lol

If we have one (we don't always) it will go up a week before Christmas day. I'd be bored with it by December.

Awwww bless!Ha ha!
Hope you okay mate after losing your little one
Yea I'm OK thanks mate, wife is already wanting to rehome another pair. I don't know so much, it's the time it takes to go round 3 different lots of animals everyday. But i still have about 18L of aubious, about 100 toilet roll tubes and 2 gerbil cages empty now. And loads of gerbil food

Yea I'm OK thanks mate, wife is already wanting to rehome another pair. I don't know so much, it's the time it takes to go round 3 different lots of animals everyday. But i still have about 18L of aubious, about 100 toilet roll tubes and 2 gerbil cages empty now. And loads of gerbil food
Take your time on any decision, grief is never a good place to make one from.

Nooooo, pleeeease!

It's too early for Christmas decorations for me, they and Christmas itself loses their specialness if they are in place so long. Call me an old curmudgeon if you like! As a kid my dad used to put up the tree and decorate the house on Christmas Eve while we were out doing other things, somehow that made it more special. :fog:
Nowadays we have an additional reason for leaving it until the 24th, and that's that my younger son has his birthday on the 23rd and we don't want his celebrations to be lost among all the Christmas stuff :cake:🎉

When it was just me and hubby, and then when the children come along but were still too tiny to know, I used to leave putting up the tree until mid December, perhaps a little after. Since the children are older, I find myself getting caught up in their increasing levels excitement and as soon as it turns December 1st they crank it up to 11! So, now the tree goes up the first weekend in December

Nooooo, pleeeease!

It's too early for Christmas decorations for me, they and Christmas itself loses their specialness if they are in place so long. Call me an old curmudgeon if you like! As a kid my dad used to put up the tree and decorate the house on Christmas Eve while we were out doing other things, somehow that made it more special. :fog:
Nowadays we have an additional reason for leaving it until the 24th, and that's that my younger son has his birthday on the 23rd and we don't want his celebrations to be lost among all the Christmas stuff :cake:🎉

Traditionally the holly and the ivy came in on Christmas Eve. Queen Victoria made fir trees fashionable when she married Albert (it was a German tradition). My Grandparents always insisted it was bad luck to put decorations up before Christmas Eve, they were very much the traditionalists with holly and ivy.

Nooooo, pleeeease!

That’s a good point about your son! That way his celebrations don’t get lost amongst it all!

Traditionally the holly and the ivy came in on Christmas Eve. Queen Victoria made fir trees fashionable when she married Albert (it was a German tradition). My Grandparents always insisted it was bad luck to put decorations up before Christmas Eve, they were very much the traditionalists with holly and ivy.
That is a cool fact! Love hearing where traditions came from. I had never heard that before :) so interesting

When it was just me and hubby, and then when the children come along but were still too tiny to know, I used to leave putting up the tree until mid December, perhaps a little after. Since the children are older, I find myself getting caught up in their increasing levels excitement and as soon as it turns December 1st they crank it up to 11! So, now the tree goes up the first weekend in December
Cool! Who decorates it? Do you let them do it? Are you the artistic director?

Back