Cleaning advice needed

Honey and Blossom

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, so my GPs are in my bedroom and I need to hover up all the hay today. The problem is that they stress out and start squeaking whenever I hover. What should I do?I only have 1 cage but I have a Guinea Pig carrier to possibly use. What should I do, thanks!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
If they are severely affected by it, then I’d pop them in the carrier and move them to another room while you clean up.
They usually get used noises like a vacuum cleaner in time.

Izzie913

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pigs were scared out of their wits when I first hovered and started squealing and ran into their hideys. But now they are used to it and just sit lounging about eating while I do it. My personal advice would be if they don't get too stressed, keep hovering while they are in the room and they will probably eventually get used to it.

Hoppo79

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My pigs still run to hide when I Hoover but it doesn’t take me long and they’re back out again within a minute or two. They will get used to it I promise.

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Mine are now so used to the hoover they completely ignore it.
In time they do become used to the normal sounds of the house

Alex9

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My personal advice would also be if they don't get too stressed, keep hovering while they are in the room and they will probably eventually get used to it.

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Mine are now used to it. When they were new and scared I used to start the hoover in another room and slowly move towards the room they were in so that it wasn't a sudden loud noise.

Eddie & Elvis

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Starting further away and getting closer should help them be less scared as it's not a sudden roar right next to them. With time they'll probably get used to it. My boys aren't bothered at all now.

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
My two new piggies were scared of the hoover when they first arrived. I started hoovering in another room and then gradually approached their room and now it doesn’t bother them at all. I think it helped that the older two wasn’t bothered by it either

Izzie913

New Born Pup
Reaction score
The sounds the boys react to...

Hoover - Nothing, have a snooze 😴

Plastic bag rustle - Ooooh hello! Feed us! 😁

Doorbell - Run for the hills!

Sneeze/fart - Run for the hills!

:))

Same except instead of a plastic bag rustle its ice cream tub opening (no not filled with ice cream, just a cheap storage solution for storing guinea pig treats)