• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cleaning Hay

Just so you know, it doesn't matter where you get it from, all pine/spruce shavings contain phenols, you can't get rid of it.

Also watch the hay there. I don't know which hay you buy but I've had a lot of musty and mouldy hay from P@H. It's normally the tightly packed chopped stuff you get in 3kg bags (I think). So I stopped buying it. Note this is only my experience, I don't know if anyone else has had the same problem.

If I get any hay from p@h it's normally their long strand one. While more expensive it is better quality and pigs love it 😊
Just so you know, it doesn't matter where you get it from, all pine/spruce shavings contain phenols, you can't get rid of it.

Also watch the hay there. I don't know which hay you buy but I've had a lot of musty and mouldy hay from P@H. It's normally the tightly packed chopped stuff you get in 3kg bags (I think). So I stopped buying it. Note this is only my experience, I don't know if anyone else has had the same problem.

If I get any hay from p@h it's normally their long strand one. While more expensive it is better quality and pigs love it 😊
The last time I bought hay it was economy hay from my local pet store close by to where I stay. If I buy from pets at home it’s normally this one I buy

The last time I bought hay from my local pet store it was economy hay but if I get it from pets at home it’s normally this one I buy

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/timothy-feeding-hay-3kg
That's one of the ones I've had issues with as well as this one https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/pets-at-home-meadow-feeding-hay-with-timothy-3kg

If you find that it smells funny or find any damp or mould in it don't feed it. You can take it back even if you've opened it and they'll either refund or give you a different bale.

It doesn't matter where you get it from as long as it's not dusty, mouldy, damp or has a funky smell. The way I do it is if it doesn't smell like tea it's going back. :whistle: :))

(For everyone) On the topic of hay, we're due snow here in the UK for the next few weeks so make sure you have plenty in!

That's one of the ones I've had issues with as well as this one https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/pets-at-home-meadow-feeding-hay-with-timothy-3kg

If you find that it smells funny or find any damp or mould in it don't feed it. You can take it back even if you've opened it and they'll either refund or give you a different bale.

It doesn't matter where you get it from as long as it's not dusty, mouldy, damp or has a funky smell. The way I do it is if it doesn't smell like tea it's going back. :whistle: :))

(For everyone) On the topic of hay, we're due snow here in the UK for the next few weeks so make sure you have plenty in!

Thanks for the advice . If I do have any issues I’ll definitely take it back

The economy stuff I bought from my local pet store smelt lovely and fresh
Ah that's good. Providing it stays like that and piggies enjoy it, there should be no reason to stop feeding it. My local pet shop doesn't sell hay. I either have to order online or go to p@h. It's great you've found somewhere local.

Ah that's good. Providing it stays like that and piggies enjoy it, there should be no reason to stop feeding it. My local pet shop doesn't sell hay. I either have to order online or go to p@h. It's great you've found somewhere local.
My local pet store is a bit more expensive . But I’m a vip member at Pets at home

Hello,
I’ve just switched to fleece lining for my little boys. I was just wondering what’s best for spot cleaning hay/ hay containment. They just seem to chuck theirs everywhere. I know shaking it off would be easiest but I don’t want to unsettle them every day doing that.
Thanks
I have a handheld vac whose sole job is to suck up pig poop 😂 It struggles with hay so I tend to just scoop that back into the hay tray by hand if she has been flinging it about.

Back