• Winter is here! Make sure you piggies are safe by taking action now, for more information on cold weather protection - Click Here
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Cold Weather Care For Guinea Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Worried .... Just seen it will be 2 degrees overnight on Thursday help!

I have insulation, lots of hay and they are in a garage ... Is this enough !

Liv_5196

New Born Pup
Not sure if this will work. If it does, this is a part copy of the about Winter Care that I used to put in all my adoption packs. I can't take all the credit for this as I think it was a rescue on here that gave me permission to use some of their stuff (Honeybunnies maybe?) But it is a good way to start thinking about cold weather care, it was just 8 degrees here last night, and hopefully lots of you can add your own tips to it. :) xx

COLD AND WINTER MONTHS FOR PIGGIES
Imagine you are living in a bedsit, you have everything that you need – food, water and a comfy bed in the corner. The windows are open and in the lovely late summer, a gentle breeze blows through the windows and keeps you cool and comfortable. It’s quite a pleasant place to be but then the autumn arrives and it starts to get cooler, wetter and windier. You can’t get up to shut the windows, you have no extra bedding and life begins to feel a bit miserable. The damp air feels horrible and you spend much of your time on your own. Then winter arrives, it’s getting really, really cold now and still you have no extra bedding or heat source, no extra food. Much of the day is in darkness and you’re lonely. The windows let in howling gales and it’s absolutely freezing, you’re so cold, you simply can’t get warm and wherever you go to cuddle up just feels cold and damp. The draughts are coming in from all directions now, it’s dark and miserable and you’re feeling poorly. Your life is bleak, your future looks bleak too. If only you could shut those windows, if only you had more bedding, if only you could stop those icy draughts coming in, if only someone cared enough about you to do something, soon, very soon, before you become really poorly or worse.
SO HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF THAT WAS YOUR LIFE? ....WELL LET’S HOPE IT’S NOT YOUR GUINEA PIGS’.
In an ideal world all guinea pigs would be looked after in the comfort of an indoor home, but realistically the many spend their lives outside, possibly in a shed/outbuilding/garage (without a car.) As responsible pet owner, everything must be done to provide adequate comfort throughout the cold and winter months.
Guinea pigs find it difficult to cope with draughts and damp and every effort should be made to put their home into a sheltered enclosed area. By doing this you will be making your life easier too, you won’t want to be cleaning the hutch out, if you are battling with the elements and getting soaked through. Move it nearer to your house. Use your common sense and think about how the weather/air will affect your pets. They are your responsibility and completely dependent on you. You must take action to ensure they are warm, clean and dry. If they are in a flimsy plywood hutch that seemed ok in the summer, this will be totally inadequate now. These must be taken indoors as your guinea pigs will not survive outside in one of these. Consider investing in a better and more suitable, substantial hutch.
Here in the North West, we have a damp and cold climate, temperatures can often be sub zero. Nothing could be worse for guinea pigs. Hutches should be weatherproof. However, for those of you that simply have no other choice there are some tips for you to consider when thinking about ‘Winter Care’. Be creative, think guinea pig! Beg/borrow off anyone you can, you don’t have to spend a fortune, but you DO have to look after your piggies. Duvets/blankets are great draped over the hutch at night. A blanket permanently over half of the hutch, covering the bedroom area opening door helps keep draughts out. Think about ‘making a bed’ in the hutch bedroom for your piggies – an upside down box with fleece or hay in, that they can sleep under, in the bedroom area and all covered with hay. Just think how you can tuck them up snugly to keep them warm and comfy. So that when you are warm in your bed, they will be warm in their beds too.
Keeping your piggies dry is also important. Whether you use wood shavings, fleece, hay, newspapers or a combination of some/all of these, they must be regularly changed. Damp is bad for piggies, damp 'and' cold is dreadful.

Heck, it worked. I surprise myself sometimes. :{ xx
Hasn't really got cold here yet, but when it does its COLD. There inside piggies I will keep this in consideration

gigglepigs

New Born Pup
I brought a snuggle safe heat pad for the winter and so far it's been working a treat. My guinea pigs love to sleep on it and it stays warm all night:lol:. if it does go under 3 degrees Celsius i bring them in over night but so far its been very mild. my only problem is when i fill there hutch up with hay to keep them warm they just sit on top of it.

Kaatje C

New Born Pup
that's a great document, it really expresses how much it will mean to your pigs to accommodate them properly in the colder (and warmer) months!:agr:

Hank288

Adult Guinea Pig
I have just been out to my girls and re-heated the snuggle safes, I cannot say enough how good they are (they just stayed warm for 7 hours and would have still been going longer). I took it away much to Daisy's disgust and fed them tea, brought the snuggle safe back and she hopped straight back on. You could then see the dilemma of the fact dinner was too far away. I moved it closer for her because I felt sorry for her so moved tea closer and have just left my daisy eating on her snuggle safe. We have one happy little pig.

wannabepiggymum

Junior Guinea Pig
Just put my microwave snugglesafe out in the hutch and a cosy towel. They are on vetbed. And I have cardboard hopefully keeping out most of the draft from the open area. My husband built my hutch for me, it is solid and draft free, he siliconed all the joints from the outside when it was built. The boys fairly new to the outdoors as its been cold up here all through winter - tonight it decided to snow for the first day in weeks and I have lent our indoor cage to a friend who took on a pregnant piggy. Hopefully they will be OK and snuggle together. :hug:

Furball

New Born Pup
We had our three in the dinning room last year over winter but my OH is allergic to them, so moved to the conservatory but was to expensive to heat as badly insulated they are now in our entrance porch and happy to welcome everyone when they come over and so cosy and it is lovely and warm in there.

Ged

New Born Pup
Not sure if I am posting in the correct area so please accept my apologise in advance

Here is my question i have just purchased this hutch which has an under floor run

http://rabbithutchworld.co.uk/produ...under-run/

It's extremely cold as you all know its been rather chilly here in the UK so I plan on placing the hutch in my garage over winter but then

Relocating in the garden during the summer months. I have added ventilation to the bed and exexcise area but I've never heard of anyone doing this before ?

Can anyone see any possible problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.