Concerns about weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I bought Peaches on Sunday however, due to her being cuddled up with the other guineas(nibbling hay which seems to be a constant thing for her) I never actually realised how little she was until I bought her home. She is smaller than my sisters g-pig who I also bought from P@H - Sadly I do not live near any guinea pig rescue centres and still live at home. She appears healthy and eats a fair bit but I cannot help but notice her size. It is apparently law they must be wheened for 10 weeks before they can put them on sale but I have raised a trio and I thought they were small...
It would help if I posted a picture and weighed her but I will have to see tomorrow.
Does anyone have any suggestions why she would be so small? Did they not abide by the law..? hmm:...

Last edited:

HairlessWillow7

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If she's healthy and eats a lot, I wouldn't worry to much. I would weigh her often though.

Some piggies are just really small. I had a piggy named Nibbles who was smaller than a 2 month old pup! And she was 4 years old! Do you know how old your piggy is?

Hopefully this helps! :)

Reaction score
Well she was brought into P@H on Sunday with a lot of other gorgeous piggies and she is 10 weeks old. I will weigh her and upload a pigture tomorrow if I remember my photobucket haha. She also likes to sit in the palm of my hand a lot, very docile only heard her wheek a few times. Nibbles sounds so cute and Willow is a lovely piggy by the way. Thanks for the advice! :)

Reaction score
I will get a picture of her alone and with her buddy as comparison. She is my sisters g-pig(not sure if they are related they have the same colourings- ginger) who happens to have the same name as your Willow. I will update on Peaches tomorrow, she is currently hidden away in her house.. suprise suprise!
Thanks again. :)

HairlessWillow7

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You're very welcome :)

Willow seems to be a popular piggy name! I've meet other people on this forum with piggies named Willow, lol :))

hellsbells82

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ideally you need to be weighing her weekly to have an idea if she's gaining ok. I had concerns about my rescue boys as one was very light for his age, so got in the habit of doing weekly weigh-ins and it's useful to see the weekly gain etc.

I also have two little piggies who were originally from P&H adoption and were given to them by a breeder as Dinky has a flat face and couldn't be sold, they're about 16 weeks now and the difference in size is immense, Dinky is markedly small than Charlie, at 12 weeks Dinky was 450g and Charlie was 560g, last week at 15 weeks Dinky was 500g and Charlie 651g, so the difference in them is increasing, but both seem happy and healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.