• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Considering a 4th boar to make 2 pairs but is it too early

Guineaboarpig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There is the possibility of a year old rescue boar being available, I would have to end my trio keeping and split into 2 functioning pairs.

I don’t know if I should see if he bonds with my piggy 2 as I mention below. The rescue piggy does have a sight impairment but is otherwise healthy.

There are 2 possible boars who would likely be better candidates for separation. The lowest piggy lies with either of his brothers, is never chased. Seems best one to keep. It’s a matter of piggy 1 or piggy 2. Piggy 2 has started to be chased a bit more by piggy 1. Piggy 2 and 1 both do rumble, but 0 fighting or aggression has transpired. Boar 2 did get an ear nip overnight a week ago that’s all I have seen.

All 3 do lie, eat and sleep in close proximity. I keep half of the cage covered with a throw and they don’t even sleep in the tunnels or hidey they prefer the piles of hay outside. Boar 2 has even slept eyes closed so must feel safe. Today is their 12 week old and Friday I will have had them together for 4weekw

Should I hold back and watch the trio develop or intervene now while there is a ‘candidate’ so to speak. It is 60 miles to where the boy is so I’d be hiring a vehicle.

I just wanted to see advice and opinion and this is the best place for it. I have a very deep love towards each of my boars and only want the best for them. Generally I am a cold person not interested in human contact but I have a soft spot to dogs(don’t have any now have had labs) and guinea pigs! Did have a rabbit once too. The wheeking and squeeking just gets me every time ❤️

I also would love to have more Guineas too. Seperate to my current boars. I have the space time money and other considerations to provide a home. I think if this trio were sows I’d be going for a big herd like that you tuber lol! I can’t think of name but is a lady with a European accent. Recently got a neutered boar to the herd.

I don't have anything particularly constructive to say (I thought I should leave that to more experienced members) but is that YouTube channel Little Adventures? She recently adopted a beautiful fuzzy boar. I wish I could help with your real question but I don't want to give incorrect advice (sorry)

Hmmm I think with them not being through their teens I wouldn’t wait for the fallout before separating. What I would worry about is the fact that young boars rarely make it through their teens as a trio - especially being all the same age. I think (were it me) I would separate and try to pair the single with the rescue boar. Who you separate depends on who seems to get on.

Say 2 boys may be potential to try can you take out 1 boar put in bonding pen with the other if it works perfect, if it is a failure try with another? Since every new intro is a new bonding session do wonder.

I do think that both boars 1 and 2 get on with 3. 3 is so passive and chill I think he is happy to be bottom pig. I know he gets on fine with others. If there is a teen fight 1 and 2 would be it I feel. With 1 being more dominant and having 3 in submission to him. 2 seems the best one to attempt to try. That would leave my most dominant and most submissive to agree a relationship.

My thoughts seemed to align. Thinking this is opportunity to sort these guys out into happy pairs to prevent a fall out. Prevention better than cure right. If there was ever an injury that was serious wouldn’nt be nice. Maybe the one with an older boar would be happy. I expect I am right in thinking a disabled piggy would not make him any more likely to accept being the underpiggy and they would both hash out dominance to see if there is acceptance, so can never say for sure if one boar or another would work.

Yes that is the YouTube channel now I remember name.
I don't have anything particularly constructive to say (I thought I should leave that to more experienced members) but is that YouTube channel Little Adventures? She recently adopted a beautiful fuzzy boar. I wish I could help with your real question but I don't want to give incorrect advice (sorry)

Say 2 boys may be potential to try can you take out 1 boar put in bonding pen with the other if it works perfect, if it is a failure try with another? Since every new intro is a new bonding session do wonder.

I do think that both boars 1 and 2 get on with 3. 3 is so passive and chill I think he is happy to be bottom pig. I know he gets on fine with others. If there is a teen fight 1 and 2 would be it I feel. With 1 being more dominant and having 3 in submission to him. 2 seems the best one to attempt to try. That would leave my most dominant and most submissive to agree a relationship.

My thoughts seemed to align. Thinking this is opportunity to sort these guys out into happy pairs to prevent a fall out. Prevention better than cure right. If there was ever an injury that was serious wouldn’nt be nice. Maybe the one with an older boar would be happy. I expect I am right in thinking a disabled piggy would not make him any more likely to accept being the underpiggy and they would both hash out dominance to see if there is acceptance, so can never say for sure if one boar or another would work.
Being disabled won’t mean he’s definitely underpig. I would actually consider doing it before they reach teenage months. Bonding them can be harder once they hit that period in their life. More so when they are a couple of months into it.

I’ll see if I can push ahead. Thanks for this does seem it is a very good opportunity.

Of course this boar is absolutely adorable, don’t want to go too heart in in case it doesn’t work out. This boar is Sheltie unlike my trio who are all shorthair so I’m sure we would get to bond over some grooming sessions

I happy to be making plans now regarding this boar next week. Hoping that he bonds to my boar I think will make the best.

Couple of follow up queries

Will the remaining 2 engage in a bit of dominance as one is removed, one is clearly passive and other is clearly dominant. Once bonded and put in cage should I leave the 2 new friends alone as if both were new to establish their routine.

Also I can either have the cage below or to the side. Would it being side on or below cause any Issues. Since there would hopefully be 2 functioning boar pairs no one is alone.

Do you ever bath a Sheltie? I know grooming every 8 weeks to prevent matting and keeping things tidy around his genitalia.

I really hope all works out fine.

Thanks!

I happy to be making plans now regarding this boar next week. Hoping that he bonds to my boar I think will make the best.

Couple of follow up queries

Will the remaining 2 engage in a bit of dominance as one is removed, one is clearly passive and other is clearly dominant. Once bonded and put in cage should I leave the 2 new friends alone as if both were new to establish their routine.

Also I can either have the cage below or to the side. Would it being side on or below cause any Issues. Since there would hopefully be 2 functioning boar pairs no one is alone.

Do you ever bath a Sheltie? I know grooming every 8 weeks to prevent matting and keeping things tidy around his genitalia.

I really hope all works out fine.

Thanks!

yes removing one will cause them to have a bit of dominance will they sort things back put.

the one you remove and put with a new piggy will have a two week period of establishing their relationship post introduction

side by side cages for two separate pairs is fine

Back