• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Conversations with Chico the rabbit

Swissgreys

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Me: Chico I wish you wouldn't lay like that. It makes me think you are dead.
Chico: Can't speak. Almost dead. No water. Give me water.
Me: Chico there is a full water bottle less than 10cm from your head.
Chico: I need water.
Me: So drink from the full bottle situated directly above you. The one that occasionally drips on you and makes you flap your ears.
Chico: Can't use that bottle. That bottle is pink. I only drink from the blue bottle.
Me: Those bottles are identical - bought from the same shop at the same time. Why do you rabbits only use one.
Chico: Water, I need water....

IMG_5929.jpeg
And so it goes. It is boiling here at the moment so we put 2 water bottles on their cage (plus several other water sources elsewhere) and they only drink from one bottle.
Both work fine, but they will sit trying to get water out of whatever bottle in on the left ,even when it is empty and the one on the right is full.
Really rabbits?

Oh Chico, they don’t seem to understand that the bottles are in fact completely different, and the pink bottle is clearly way to far to move to drink from!

My rabbit does a very similar thing he won’t eat veg from your hand but he will let you put the veg on the floor then he’ll pick it up!
They do like to confuse us!

Patch has used bottles for years, no problems. I also give a bowl of water in summer as well as the bottles but he’s never been bothered to use the bowl for seven whole years. This summer he’s decided that the bottle can’t be trusted and is refusing to touch it, he’d rather have me refill the bowl every hour and worry about whether he’ll ever use a bottle again....I can’t help feeling he’s having a good laugh at me and that he’s been planning this for years!

Back