• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Corn on the cob

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KatsCavies

Does anyone else feed their pigs corn on the cobs? Mine love them (as do most pigs) and they love tearing the leaves off. Unfortunately finding them raw and still with their leaves is so difficult as most supermarkets etc only stock those pre-cooked ones which the pigs aren't bothered about.

Kat

my piggies love them too. I know Tescos do them in packets witht he husks still on the,m too. I get mine from the market or a fruit/veg shop that we have.

corn on the cob is a big hit over here in our household. It is very easy to find them in the husks here at our grocery stores as most people prefer to husk them right at the supermarket and that way they know if they are good or not but you can also buy them and take the husk off at home. It is your choice. But there is always ones that are dehusked that are sold too in our stores, but it really depends on what you are looking for to be honest with you. Sometimes I am able to get just the husks that people leave behind at the grocery store. That always confuses the cashier as they don't know what to charge me for husks without the corn. Willie prefers the husks but will eat the corn on the cob too. I always make sure that I get the silkies out of the husk before giving him any of it though as I was always told that those weren't good for a piggie cause they could get them stuck in their teeth.

luckly if our tescos dont have nay msot of the Ilsand is full of veggies growing and corn is one of the main ones so I can alwasy get it quite easily, theres even a corn maze, which grows every year you have to take a flag in and if you get lost or cant get out you have to wave the flag ,

michellemuffin said:
luckly if our tescos dont have nay msot of the Ilsand is full of veggies growing and corn is one of the main ones so I can alwasy get it quite easily, theres even a corn maze, which grows every year you have to take a flag in and if you get lost or cant get out you have to wave the flag ,

That sounds like a lot of fun. We have what you call corn mazes around the end of November for Halloween. I can honestly say though that I have never been in one but they do sound like tons of fun. You are lucky you can get corn all the time. We are lucky to get it in the early spring through about early fall when it is in growing season here.

Husks and silks (leaves and strings) can be fed daily. I believe they are reasonably high in fibre. They are devoured by all of my pigs, especially the silks.

Corn on the cob contains carcinogens (I think) so shoudl be limited. It's a good workout for incisors but not the best nutritionally.

Everyone had a cob the weekend. It was devourved by the boys in less than 30 mins!

Icey and Tiny just ate the leaves, whereas the other girls are picking at it!

I have to rip the husks off the cob fro my girls cos they wont eat it if its on there. spoilt girls! so they eat them separately. fussy girls

MIne hate it too, first time I have managed to get it not cooked and paid nearly €4.00 for two
want be getting it again.

karen

Mine love it, all boys & girls..love eating the cob, they get there's once a week ;D

I take that as being expensive Karen! I can get mine now and again from the greengrocers by me at 39p a cob!

kellyandpiggies said:
I take that as being expensive Karen! I can get mine now and again from the greengrocers by me at 39p a cob!
[/quote,

Yeah Kelly it is very expensive we pay through the nose for just about everything here in Ireland and as we are an hour and a half from the nearest city the price sores again so unfair, >:(

carrots with the tops on are just under €3.00 for 8 carrots.£28 sterling and that is just the basics carrots, parsnips, Brocoli, apples pears,cucumber pepper sweet potato and cauli.
Strawberries are €3.00 per small pot. >:(

Hence this year have started growing and by next year my veg garden will be fully sorted :)

to feed my lot veg weekly I spend roughly €35 about

karen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back