• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cost of nail trim

Qpigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm wondering what kind of price I should be paying for my pigs nail trim. I took them both to my vets earlier in the year and it cost £48 for both. The nurse did a fantastic job, but I thought it was a bit expensive!

I can just about cut them myself, but it's stressful all round! I'm in Northampton if anyone has any recommendations :)

Are they charging just for the nail clip or is there a consult fee in there too? This is the receipt from my vet visit on Thursday, not for a nail up but the pricing is there anyway

DSC_0066.JPG

That was for two guinea pigs, £25.92.

Are they charging just for the nail clip or is there a consult fee in there too? This is the receipt from my vet visit on Thursday, not for a nail up but the pricing is there anyway

View attachment 247977

That was for two guinea pigs, £25.92.
It was just an appointment with the nurse for the nail clip. I was surprised but far too British to question it at the time!

I was always fortunate that all the piggies I had were laid back and let me cut their nails with no drama, apart from Stella, I only had to pick the clippers up off the hook in their shed and she screamed the shed down as if I was trying to cut her paws off - and that was before I had even opened the hutch door! 🤣🤣🤣

I’ve never paid for it and we do it ourselves to the best of our ability, but occasionally one of the very nice vets during a check up or other consult has given them a free ‘mani-pedi’ as she calls it, as she says she likes to keep her skills up and use it as a chance to educate the vet students on piggy nails. I don’t think this is typical but it is appreciated and I think as we spend plenty of money there on other things they want to give us good value where they can. The pigs tend to behave much better for the vet!

In my defence I have a list of reasons for getting them done at the vets.
I have done Master Boris myself but he screams like I've cut his leg off, before I've even picked up the clippers! Only when it's me though, he's an absolute angel for the vet nurse 🙄
One of my original pigs, Tim Nice but Dim, was a three person job. One to hold him, one to do the trimming and one to supply something for him to bite!

I was going to be charged £35 to cut 2 nails which I struggled to cut as they're curled awkwardly. Thankfully with some patients n

One of my original pigs, Tim Nice but Dim, was a three person job. One to hold him, one to do the trimming and one to supply something for him to bite!

I took Comet & Blitzen to get their nails clipped because while Comet was a relative angel over it, Blitzen was not and I'd happily hold him while someone else risked his teeth. He never managed to actually bite because we were faster than he was, but it meant you had to do one nail at a time - literally.

I'm quite happy to pay for it to be done. I like the reassurance of the check up especially with Master Boris being a satin.

I take my piggies to the vet for nail trims has wonky black nails and is the wriggliest pig ever 😆. It costs me £35 for 2 pigs. (I take them 2 at a time because it’s easier to manage)
It is expensive, but I would really struggle to do it myself and I like the MOT they get as well.
I also like the fact that the vets and especially the nurses know my pigs really well- it has helped when I have had to take them in when poorly.

Back