• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

couch potato pig - an update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doras mum

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Well, we've been to the vets & she had a good look at her. The conclusion she came to is that as pig is bright & happy in herself & the weight has only appeared since she came indoors she agrees with my initial thoughts that she's basically been being spoiled BUT she does think there's the start of arthritis in her hind legs so she basically goes to the food, crashes out to eat & stays there until it's gone so she's not really helping herself.

She did say she wasn't particularly overweight, but looked worse than she is with the way she was sitting when she was crashing out cos everything sort of splodges out sideways making her look wider than she really is

She's now got metacam to use in case she looks uncomfortable & is on glucosamine daily, is being fed smaller meals & being made to forage more by hiding the food in her daily pile of hay so she's standing up to root for it rather than just splodging down & eating til it's gone, as well as making sure she exercises outside her pen at least a couple of times a day & she seems much happier & more mobile - & looks a lot better shape now she's using herself a bit more. She has lost a bit of weight but I'm not so worried about that now I know what's going on - I will keep an eye on it now so I know how she is from week to week.

Thanks to everybody for their advice, any other suggestions of what I can use or do to keep her comfy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back