• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Could someone explain to me why I thought new furniture and cleaning was a good idea?

It's a few months worth of stuff, it's not all arrived recently i swear, but since everyone keeps putting the wrong stuff in the recycling bins it's been impossible to get them out and lets be honest they'd fill up even an industrial bin (we have two, for both blocks) quickly.
Not much space to shove that lot in then I can imagine:doh:
So glad I don’t have to share a bin, I’d be mocked by the neighbours even more, take the mick enough when I’m out in my pjs picking my ‘breakfast’ grass and dandelions at 8am! :)) But the pig clean outs ram mine so I’d get prob get moaned at and mocked!

yeah there's 19 flats total. 2 bins for 19 people, because that made sense to someone. Meanwhile we've been told we need to wear a mask to go outside to the bins. Literally. Put mask on, walk down stairs, use bin, walk upstairs, mask off.

Sounds like they’re trying, in their own special way! :doh: That’s useless though with bins, that must be a fight for bin bag space 🙄

How’s the cardboard clearance going?!:))

It's all being shoved on top of each other in the cupboard now, I'm abandoning all pretence at caring :whistle: I've refilled 6 lighters, emptied 8 ice packs, sorted all my thread, and not actually done anything useful for the last hour.

It's all being shoved on top of each other in the cupboard now, I'm abandoning all pretence at caring :whistle: I've refilled 6 lighters, emptied 8 ice packs, sorted all my thread, and not actually done anything useful for the last hour.
Don't blame you you've been busy.

Don't blame you you've been busy.

Honestly I don't know if I'm more embarrassed or terrified - I've cleared at least 15 bags of junk out of here, and I have another one nearly full. I live in a studio flat. Where the heck did I have so much stuff in here? Also the cupboard full of cardboard. Got the two underbed storage drawers built and they're both full.

And...I haven't even touched the kitchen yet. :eek:

Honestly I don't know if I'm more embarrassed or terrified - I've cleared at least 15 bags of junk out of here, and I have another one nearly full. I live in a studio flat. Where the heck did I have so much stuff in here? Also the cupboard full of cardboard. Got the two underbed storage drawers built and they're both full.

And...I haven't even touched the kitchen yet. :eek:
You have been busy! Keep up the momentum once you've had a rest. It sounds like your flat would be an even more beautiful home with a little less clutter. I always blame the fact I have clutter on not having a garage/cellar etc, and I live alone in a 3 bedroom house. It must be a challenge in a studio flat.

You have been busy Lorcan 👍 you deserve a chill out Sunday eve - leave the rest for another day ! You’re a star of decluttering !

You have been busy! Keep up the momentum once you've had a rest. It sounds like your flat would be an even more beautiful home with a little less clutter. I always blame the fact I have clutter on not having a garage/cellar etc, and I live alone in a 3 bedroom house. It must be a challenge in a studio flat.

It's...not as bad as you'd think, but it's my own fault for letting it get to this state. When the lockdown hit I had this paranoia of...not being outside, but being seen by people. I wouldn't leave for days at a time, and that tends to cause a problem where throwing things out is concerned. That also led to a lot of deliveries being required, I still needed to eat, and it piled up. And piled up. And so on and so forth.

I had also bought some new furniture just before the lockdown hit. It's from Ikea, and I deliberately bought the bed I did to get the two drawers of storage space, but then because it was flatpack I needed the room to assemble it and my landlord took too long to get my old sofa moved out so I basically spent 6 months living with 2 sofas - one covered in boxes and other stuff I couldn't move anywhere, and one wrapped up and tilted on its side in my hall so you could at least squeeze past it. My coffee table turned into a bedside cabinet at the same time lol.

We also had no washing machine for 6 months and I ended up having to repeatedly buy clothes just to have something to wear. Realised last night I had a lot of clothes. And because it's all basically new stuff it's still stuff I'd wear so I can't bring myself to chuck it either.

I still need some form of adhesive coat hooks so I can hang up coats and maybe some hoodies, but my shoes are now on a shoe rack, the underbed drawers are full, the bedside cabinet and the chest of drawers are finished. Aside from the shelving unit (which will be freestanding) most of the heavy lifting is done. Now it's just finding out what's left in boxes I was using as storage, chucking out the remaining junk, throwing out any old clothing I definitely don't want again, chucking any excess cardboard into the cupboard...

I should never have let it get to this state but damn if I don't look at it now and a part of my brain keeps telling me "it still looks like a bomb hit it".

It's been such a hard time, when you couldn't get things done that you can normally. I have been avoiding shops and big supermarkets so I've been ordering everything online. Thankfully I don't have to share my cardboard recycling bin with anyone, otherwise I'd be drowning in boxes. As it is I'm still saving a growing collection of guinea pig hidey-sized ones!

It’s very difficult with a studio flat - you made the right choice with drawers under the bed. Can you put hooks on the back of doors ? If your landlord would let you then its a good way to hang up bags/ coats/ hoodies etc. Self adhesive hooks are a bit of a let down sometimes..... if you get some good attractive hooks ( they are cheap online) that would enhance your space ! Rest this eve tho

Yeah I'm done now til tomorrow. Anything on the bed can move to the floor until morning lol. On the hooks - I don't have a drill, nor access to anything other than your standard screwdrivers (phillips and flat), a range of alan keys, pliers, a hammer, and tweezers. I don't know why I have plier sized tweezers, but I do. I wouldn't have thought I could have anything but self adhesive ones without a drill?

Sorry just read your post - if your doors are wood you can make a pilot hole with the end of sharp scissors and just screw in - if you have clearance with the doors at the top you can buy ‘over the top’ row of hooks that just hook over the door - or you could use large cup hooks that just screw straight in - as you can see I’m a great fan of hooks 😂

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 2
We're not supposed to attach anything to the doors at all, but it's not like that's ever stopped me before :bal:

He he you rebel 🤣 look at the over door type hooks they’re easy and very useful

Well in my defence, they claim it's because the front doors for each flat are fire doors, except my "fire door" has at least an inch gap between it and the floor, it doesn't swing closed properly like the others (although that does mean I have the only door in the building that doesn't slam loudly) and if someone opens the front door downstairs I can feel the draught. I'm on the second floor and I can feel the draught through that gap.

It's not like I could make it a less useful fire door at this point.

That’s very bad as that fire door isn’t doing it’s job !

I know. Then they have the gall to complain we leave the internal door open downstairs - we have two entrance doors, the external one can be opened via the intercom but the internal one can only be opened manually. It's great if you have to self isolate. But there's no telling them at all. It's like it just doesn't compute because OMG FIRE DOORS KEEP SHUT.

Back