Cruelty Free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about switching to a cruelty free life style, I'm getting some (real) ethical make up and looking into Eco cleaners etc.

Does anyone else do this? If so, do you recommend any products? :D

Hennie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about switching to a cruelty free life style, I'm getting some (real) ethical make up and looking into Eco cleaners etc.

Does anyone else do this? If so, do you recommend any products? :D
I'd definitely recommend Faith in Nature hair and soap products - they smell divine and do a great job to! They do other products too and they are all cruelty free ☺

flowerfairy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I like faith in nature products too.

Also astonish are apparantly cruelty free. Cheap too and good. I use the paste for cleaning and the spray for wiping surfaces.

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
I tend to avoid ready made products as much as possible.

For day to day cleaning I have various concentrations of white vinegar and water, and sometimes add a couple of drops of essential oil to make them smell nice (lavender for the bedrooms and living room, and eucalyptus or pine for the bathroom).
We have hard flooring throughout the entire house, and I absolutely swear by my steam floor cleaner - no chemicals at all, and it brings all of the floors up beautifully, as well as being far more hygienic than most other cleaning methods.
For wood I make my own polish which is melted beeswax (so no good if you are vegan I'm afraid) mixed with olive oil.
For the oven I use a vinegar and bicarbonate of soda paste.

It doesn't take much time to make your own cleaning products, and it saves an absolute fortune, plus you know exactly what goes into them.

Tigermoth

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm liking Wilko make up just now. Dirt cheap and not animal tested! I use Tesco moisturiser, shower gel etc, also not tested on animals.

I like e cloths for lots of cleaning.

Beans&Toast

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm vegan and I've found Superdrug to be amazing! Their own brand products are cruelty free, they're all vegetarian and most are vegan. Make up/hair products/toiletries etc.

For cleaning products, Astonish. Astonish everything! You can get them in B&M and places like that. They're all cruelty free and vegan too.

Kylie80

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I started using vinegar and baking soda for cleaning after my kidney transplant as the thought if it having to filter all the chemicals from cleaning products concerned me. I use plant based detergents and laundry powders and when i occasionally wear make up it's a plant based brand. All this organic plant based brands are probably clever marketing anyway but I feel better using it lol. Do you use Pinterest? It has all sorts of pins on chemical free this and that as well as good recipies and stuff. It's a bit addictive though lol.

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Thanks guys fab tips! I do love a bit of white vinegar too.

I'm always a bit confused because some companies don't test on animals but pay for and use research that HAS been tested on animals :( So they can still say that they don't do it themselves. It's a bit of a mine field!

I don't have Pinterest but I really should have a look!

Now that it's pay day I'm going to have to do some shopping and check these tips out! :D

Stayc1989

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My favourite shower gels are the original source. They do mouth watering flavours and are vegan. I've just used up the last of the mango flavour. Think that and mint are my favourite so far. There are so many flavours to choose from. I also have quite greasy hair and used to wash it every day so I use one from the body shop for greasy hair and it made a big difference and a lot of the time they are on offer don't need to wash it as often now either :)

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
My favourite shower gels are the original source. They do mouth watering flavours and are vegan. I've just used up the last of the mango flavour. Think that and mint are my favourite so far. There are so many flavours to choose from. I also have quite greasy hair and used to wash it every day so I use one from the body shop for greasy hair and it made a big difference and a lot of the time they are on offer don't need to wash it as often now either :)
Ooh that's good! I didn't realise that the original source things were vegan! They are lovely :)

Is Body Shop still cruelty free? I haven't got anything from there since they were taken over by l'Oreal who still test on animals.

Even if Body Shop are still cruelty free I worry that the profits go to a company who are not :(

D

DM030819

I love Original Source. It shows how stupid I am but I was using the blackcurrant one once and my mouth actually started watering, it smells delicious. I went one step further and tried a bit. Once you get past the soap flavour it does taste like blackcurrant (Don't try this at home kids!)

The pale yellow one, I think it's possibly banana and something, it smells awful. That's the only one I avoid.

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I love Original Source. It shows how stupid I am but I was using the blackcurrant one once and my mouth actually started watering, it smells delicious. I went one step further and tried a bit. Once you get past the soap flavour it does taste like blackcurrant (Don't try this at home kids!)

The pale yellow one, I think it's possibly banana and something, it smells awful. That's the only one I avoid.
I love that you've tasted it! :))

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I just had to give Tonks her baytril, so she agrees with you! :)) She seemed to like the metacam though, first time we've needed it in my herd!

Stayc1989

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ooh that's good! I didn't realise that the original source things were vegan! They are lovely :)

Is Body Shop still cruelty free? I haven't got anything from there since they were taken over by l'Oreal who still test on animals.

Even if Body Shop are still cruelty free I worry that the profits go to a company who are not :(
I didn't realise they had taken over body shop :( I'll be looking into it before I buy it again. I usually buy it online and hadn't noticed anything to say it had changed but I won't buy it again if it isn't cruelty free as that's why I bought it in first place x

Stayc1989

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score

I love that you've tasted it! :))
Hahahaha I love that you've tasted it too! I have been sooo tempted to try the mango one but didn't dare :D

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I didn't realise they had taken over body shop :( I'll be looking into it before I buy it again. I usually buy it online and hadn't noticed anything to say it had changed but I won't buy it again if it isn't cruelty free as that's why I bought it in first place x
Yea it happened years ago unfortunately, they don't exactly advertise it because it lost them loads of customers. It was a massive shame as I loved Body Shop stuff and like you I used it because it was cruelty free!

Stayc1989

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's so strange because I thought that's what they were all about! Looks like they've gone back on everything they said they believed in which is a real shame. :( I dont think I'll shop there again to be honest.

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Well technically The Body Shop is still cruelty free (basically they've found a loop hole) but the profits go to l'Oreal who aren't.

That's why I find it hard to find truly cruelty free things :/

Status
Not open for further replies.