• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Crusty Ball on Side of Mouth?

Lxxra

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Does anyone know what a crusty, white ball at the corner of a Guinea pigs mouth is? Noticed it only today, it pulls his lower lip down. He seems to be eating normally. Is this an infection of sorts? There is nothing in the room that could get anything stuck to his mouth.

Looks like this:
20200205_100814.jpg

Attachments

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
You could maybe hold a warm flannel onto it and see if it can be removed, it could possibly be a bit of boar glue etc. Especially if he’s eating normally. If you can’t remove it a vet trip would be a good idea.
He’s gorgeous 😍 well the bit of him I can see! Beautiful colours!

GPTV

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I'm not sure what it is, but if it's come on suddenly have you checked its not a bit of bedding (woodchip/ paper pellet/ newspaper?) stuck on his lip?

It could also be 'boar glue' especially if he has a male padmate?
Have you tried soaking/bathing it with water to see if it will come off - if it appears to be on the hair opposed to attached to his skin?

If it's attached to his skin I would just get him checked out at the vets to be sure.

That's one handsomely, kissable, doughnut lipped boy :love: :wub:

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Does anyone know what a crusty, white ball at the corner of a Guinea pigs mouth is? Noticed it only today, it pulls his lower lip down. He seems to be eating normally. Is this an infection of sorts? There is nothing in the room that could get anything stuck to his mouth.

Looks like this:
View attachment 132753
Hi!

It looks like 'boar glue' (dried semen fluid) to me. Unfortunately it has got its vernacular name for a very good read - it sticks like superglue once dried... :(

You may have to wait until comes off on its own and if necessary see a vet promptly if it gets ripped off and leaves a bloody sore on the skin. it is difficult for us to see whether it is attached to hair or to skin.

Here is more information on boar issues (with pictures), including boar glue: Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

Lxxra

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone, for advice.
Indeed, it was bore glue!
And it fell off right after his evening bath :D

Much obliged 🌷