• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cut the quick 😢

Claire W

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
I normally take the piggies to the vets to have their nails cut but due to covid 19 and vets not doing routine stuff, we’ve been doing it ourselves, I hold and hubby cuts.

Anyway, we’ve just done the piggies nails and hubby has just caught Edwards quick 😢 He’s not bleeding badly but is holding his foot off the floor. I feel so guilty 😞

I normally take the piggies to the vets to have their nails cut but due to covid 19 and vets not doing routine stuff, we’ve been doing it ourselves, I hold and hubby cuts.

Anyway, we’ve just done the piggies nails and hubby has just caught Edwards quick 😢 He’s not bleeding badly but is holding his foot off the floor. I feel so guilty 😞
Don't worry!
I believe you can use cornstarch (someone please confirm) to clot the blood where it is bleeding.
Your piggy will forgive you! I cut to the quick on Stubbins' nail one time, but after a slice of pepper, all was forgotten!

I think I've caught one of Peanut's this afternoon, it's such a horrible feeling isn't it. I had him stood on a white towel and there's 2 little red spots on it but I can't see any coming out of a nail so I must have only just nicked it if I did. I couldn't put any corn flour on it as I didn't know where the blood had come from. I hope Edward recovers quickly, I'm sure he will forgive you after a generous snack!

Aw sending hugs! The guilt from making a toe bleed is immense, Ollie pigwig has freakishly long toes hidden in thick black nails on his slightly disabled back legs (I think as he doesnt put weight on his toes and walks on the side of his feet the quick is really long) and I nearly always make one bleed, then I just feel awful, though the vet nurse makes them bleed too and isnt nearly as apologetic as I am! If the bleeding has stopped you just need to bring out the bribery/apology foods and ear kisses, if its still bleeding a little cornstarch or dabbing it with a bit of loo roll like a shaving cut should be fine x

You can use Styptic Powder, corn flour (starch) or flour to stop the bleeding. Bleeding normally stops quickly on it's own apparently. I added apparently because I don't want anyone to think I make a habit of cutting quicks, I've only done it once before, years ago.
Ollie's nails sound like a nightmare @PigglePuggle I have a lot of black ones among my piggies and a few twisted barley sugar ones on the older piggies but nothing like poor Ollie's.

Sorry Claire. Sure Edward will be fine bless him, sure he’s already forgiven you! x
I’ve cut Luigi’s black ones so many times over this year with his annoying kangaroo twitches! 🤦‍♀️Forgives me with a blueberry! :))

Sorry Claire. Sure Edward will be fine bless him, sure he’s already forgiven you! x
I’ve cut Luigi’s black ones so many times over this year with his annoying kangaroo twitches! 🤦‍♀️Forgives me with a blueberry! :))
Ollie agrees about the blueberries, I think actually he wouldnt mind if I cut off all his toe ends if each one deserved a blueberry or a strawberry top! Not that I do of course, once we get a bleeding toe we stop straight away and give out bribes and rewards and write how far we got in my "piggy almancac" book of weights and baths and nail trims then we wait a week before trying again on the rest of the toes!

Ollie agrees about the blueberries, I think actually he wouldnt mind if I cut off all his toe ends if each one deserved a blueberry or a strawberry top! Not that I do of course, once we get a bleeding toe we stop straight away and give out bribes and rewards and write how far we got in my "piggy almancac" book of weights and baths and nail trims then we wait a week before trying again on the rest of the toes!
Haha bless him little Ollie. Think I could chop Luigi’s legs off and he wouldn’t even notice if there was a bowl of blueberries in front of him the porker! :doh:He’s addicted! :))

Hi!

Take a deep breath! He will feel a lot better by tomorrow. It sounds like a mere nip.

It was piggy nail cutting time again and hubby has yet again cut Edwards quick on 3 nails. My poor boy :( it doesn’t help that his nails are curly. I’ll be so glad when vets are cutting nails again so I can take them to the vets to be done!

It was piggy nail cutting time again and hubby has yet again cut Edwards quick on 3 nails. My poor boy :( it doesn’t help that his nails are curly. I’ll be so glad when vets are cutting nails again so I can take them to the vets to be done!
Poor Edward! It was nail trims here again on Monday and again I cut one of Ollie's poor black freakishly long toes... only 1 of his long back toes though, which is a record success, 1 bloody toe out of 14x8 which is... lots and lots of wheeking wriggly toes! Is that 112 toes?
Poor Ollie's middle back toe is always the one I seem to get though, even just taking 2mm off after 11 weeks since his last nail trim- poor daft freaky feet he has, those toes just get longer and longer I think because he often doesnt put any weight on them when he walks and just ice-skates on his inner back toes because of his funny hip arrangement... at least I got his curly thick black front nails a decent length though without hurting him!

Poor Edward! It was nail trims here again on Monday and again I cut one of Ollie's poor black freakishly long toes... only 1 of his long back toes though, which is a record success, 1 bloody toe out of 14x8 which is... lots and lots of wheeking wriggly toes! Is that 112 toes?
Poor Ollie's middle back toe is always the one I seem to get though, even just taking 2mm off after 11 weeks since his last nail trim- poor daft freaky feet he has, those toes just get longer and longer I think because he often doesnt put any weight on them when he walks and just ice-skates on his inner back toes because of his funny hip arrangement... at least I got his curly thick black front nails a decent length though without hurting him!

Poor Edward indeed :( You did well to only cut one quick out of all those quicks. I hate dark nails

Aw, he’ll be okay! It was nail cutting day for Teddy, all of his nails are black. I cut the quick and he did a little squeal and I felt so bad :( Teddy also has long quicks but only on his toes. They grow back so quick aswell. But no blood, and he forgave me after I gave him a treat :)

It may differ depending on area and different vets, but we took our two girls to the vets today to get theirs cut. I was allowed in with them, with a mask on of course. They sulked all the way home, but came around with a bit of tomato each 🙂

It sounds like you did well though, and Edward will soon forgive and forget 🙂 My daughter and I try our best and usually manage to get a few nails cut, but have never managed to do them all in one go!

Try not to feel guilty. You are doing the right thing for your piggies. One slightly nicked toe is better than overgrown nails. I'm sure he will forgive you if there is a treat forthcoming.xx

Back