• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

CV format

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2022/23
Reaction score
I can't remember the last time I did a CV! Does anyone here know the best format to put it in please? Thank you in advance.

Depends what sort of job or course it is for!
If its a job you should start with relevant work history, if its a course of study start with relevant qualifications and experience.
Then you should have a "job specific skills" section (or "subject specific skills" for a course of study) with bullet points and an explanatory sentence about each skill, and a "transferable skills" section where you list IT skills, team working, communication, etc.
What are you applying for? Its always important to tailor the CV to the opportunity!

It’s for teacher training. I submitted the application and they’ve me to send my CV.

How exciting! You should probably start then with a section on your "relevant work experience" and include classroom experience and anything where you've worked directly with kids.
Then probably your academic qualifications.
Then skills, specific then transferable.
For this sort of CV there's no need to write a lot about paid jobs that aren't really relevant, but you should add a brief "employment history" at the end, just employer, job title, dates, a sentence about what your duties were.
References will be super important too, ideally references from teachers or from church or something community based as well as/instead of from your employer.

Best of luck! :)

Thank you! I wrote my employment and classroom experience in the UCAS application. As for the skills, would that be just a list?

I would still include the classroom experience in the CV at the start, and the employment at the end.
For the skills I would recommend a bullet point list, with the skill in bold then an explanatory sentence, for example

-IT skills: proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint.

And I definitely think you can refer to your home schooling experience under lockdown in the "specific skills" section, referring to the Key Stage of your kids and the relevant curriculum area. They will like to see that you know about key stages, and can mention some stage specific maths and literacy targets and activities.

If you like you can PM me and we could share email addresses and you can send me a draft, or an anonymised draft with your personal details missing if you're more comfortable with that- no worries though if you don't feel comfortable with the idea at all! I do teach CV writing to my uni students and we have one or two every year who apply to go into teaching via the PGCE route :)

Oh thank you that would be great. I'll send you a message a little later on. I've got to prepare some other things - including reading up on safeguarding, current educational issues and my answers to some questions that they may pose!

Thank you. I need all the help I can get. I'll take a look see.

Back