• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Daisy and her Daktarin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Countrylass

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've been using Daktarin oral gel for a week now for the hard patches either side of her mouth and the little madam has decided she quite likes the taste so it's a race between my finger and her little pink tongue to try and get the gel on the patches. Is it safe for her to keep licking it off my finger? Does anyone know how I can discourage her from wanting to eat it?

Suzygpr

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It does taste quite nice - sweet orange. Maybe feed her veggies at the same time? Tricky! Is it helping with her mouth sores yet - it normally improves quite quickly. Please don't feed apples as they are too acidic and aggrevate sensitive mouths.

Was this self diagnosed or vet/rodentologist advice? There is a condition, cheilitis, which is a bit nasty too and may well require different treatment.
http://www.guinealynx.info/cheilitis.html

HTH

Suzy

Countrylass

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My previous thread on Daisy's mouth is here: http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55389

I haven't taken her back to the vet as I'm hoping to get an appointment with Vedra next week. The Daktarin doesn't seem to be working but I'm not sure if I should be applying it more than once a day. The "fangs" have fallen off and she just has the hard patches. They fell off before I started treatment with Daktarin. Daisy's had this since we've had her and because the vet said it was down to cage biting and would clear up of it's own accord we thought it would have gone by now. The hard patches are not in the corners of her mouth, they are about 3mm away

Suzygpr

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You can apply the Daktarin upto 3 times a day if it's bad. I've not had pigs get problems like this from chewing the bars, and I've had a lot of pigs! Just wondering if they could be wart type growths? Very odd. Hopefully Vedra will sort it quickly for you, whatever it turns out to be!

suzy x

Lisajazz

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Eating the Daktarin wont hurt her.

It can be used for internal fungal so don't worry abouth her ingesting some.

Countrylass

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm hoping Vedra can sort it as I feel sorry for Daisy and she's such a gorgeous pig even if she does have violent tendencies towards Sweep! I didn't know that piggies could get warts but then there's a lot I don't know yet. I'm relieved eating the Daktarin won't do her any harm as she really does like the taste

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If it is fungal around her mouth, logically some fungal spores could end up in her mouth and lead to oral thrush, so it's actually a good thing she's licking bits of it! Daktarin Oral Gel is most commonly given orally just like any other medication, and can be a good choice for applying to small fungal patches skin as well - as you know it is safe if they lick it off.

Countrylass

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm seeing Vedra in 2 weeks so hopefully if Daisy still has these patches I'll know what's wrong with her, in the meantime I'll carry on with the Daktarin. If she likes the taste of Daktarin would she like a tiny piece of orange maybe? I'm always trying to vary what fresh veg they get so they don't get bored and she likes the odd bit of melon we give her and the occasional slice of squash

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Orange could irritate the patches, the acid may sting a little and potentially make the problem worse, so I would avoid it personally.

Herbs are favourites here - parsley, dill and coriander are regulars, but for a treat some of mine enjoy mint, basil and tarragon.

Countrylass

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've tried mine with herbs and the only one they won't touch is mint for some reason. Unpickled beetroot and curly kale are current favourites and Dillon likes chives but he only gets one strand once a week

Status
Not open for further replies.