• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dandruff And Scratching More Than Usual?

Laaaauren

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I’ll keep this brief; I’ve recently noticed my sow Cookie has been scratching a little bit more than is considered normal. She’s a long haired piggy so she’ll often get bits of hay caught in her fur, which we will remove.
However, today whilst giving her a cuddle I noticed her lower back is visibly flaky. She’s a timid girl who doesn’t like her backend being touched and will kick up a fuss if I try to do so, making it difficult to get a good look but I could tell it was dandruff at least.
Should I give our exotics vet a call? Or is there a home remedy that’s best? Should I give her a bath? We only bathe our piggies once every couple of months but I’ve seen a few people mention a shampoo called Nizoral - is this safe to use on piggies?
She’s eating, drinking and going to the bathroom just fine but of course I want my baby to be comfortable.
Thanks in advance!

Please do see a vet for any potential skin condition.
We don’t recommend home remedies at all, at best they don’t work and at worst can cause further problems - this includes using shampoos or giving baths (which doesn’t need to be done as routine in any event). You don’t want to do anything like that before seeing a vet as it can mask symptoms and make it harder for a vet to get a diagnosis.
I hope she is ok

It could just be dry skin or it could be mites or fungal. I think I’d be inclined to have her checked over by a vet if she is scratching more than usual.

Nizoral is fine to use on piggies over 12 weeks of age but should only be used following a vets advise

Please do see a vet for any potential skin condition.
We don’t recommend home remedies at all, at best they don’t work and at worst can cause further problems - this includes using shampoos or giving baths (which doesn’t need to be done as routine in any event). You don’t want to do anything like that before seeing a vet as it can mask symptoms and make it harder for a vet to get a diagnosis.
I hope she is ok
Thank you for the advice! I didn’t think it best to use home remedies anyway as I don’t want her skin becoming anymore irritated than it might be. I’m calling our exotics vets right now to see what they think. Hopefully they’ll be able to see her today or tomorrow at the latest.

It could just be dry skin or it could be mites or fungal. I think I’d be inclined to have her checked over by a vet if she is scratching more than usual.

Nizoral is fine to use on piggies over 12 weeks of age but should only be used following a vets advise
Thanks for your advice! If I am able to book an appointment with our exotics vet I think I’ll take both my piggies, just in case it is mites. I feel awful knowing they may be uncomfortable. 😞

Back