• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Days out?

Storm1974

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We got a nice big rabbit sized carrier yesterday for our two boys, for vet visits etc., and I was just wondering whether or not it would ever be a good idea to take them out in it occasionally, for a couple/few hours in the car, when we go out, just for them to get a bit of stimulation and time away from their cage?

I'm always saying to my other half when we go out for a few hours, I wish the boys were with us, especially when we are travelling quite far away from them, and I kind of feel bad that we're all out (We have a dog too that always comes with us) enjoying ourselves and seeing/smelling new things, while the piggies are stuck at home in their cage.

It obviously wouldn't be all the time that we would be doing this and it wouldn't be on excessively hot or cold days, especially if we were planning to leave them in the car for any length of time.

What do you think, good idea:yahoo:or terrible idea:no:??

I personally don’t see the benefit of this.
Better stimulation out of the cage is just floor time.
But stimulation also doesn’t have to be out of the cage - enrichment in their environment is one of the best things you can do for them

:agr:

Unlike dogs and other species, piggies wouldn't habituate to the car journeys; so it would just cause additional stress when it doesn't need to be caused. Just make them as comfortable as you can when you do need to transport. I only transport piggies if I absolutely have to - not like transporting horses (which we do regularly) or my dog (because he comes everywhere with me) - there isn't really a need to habituate piggies to travelling and there isn't any evidence to support that they would habituate anyway

Definitely enrich their existing environment

I agree, time in the carrier is always stressful time to some extent, so I say only transport them when necessary.

Back