• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Dead foot 🤢

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I came to my piggies cage this morning, and found a foot in his hay. It has nails and is fluffy but it looks like a birds foot. Never buying from them again 🤢 I’ve read people find all sorts in their hay. Any recommendations of hay brands? Thank you!

Not sure I put this thread in the right place.

It’s rather disturbing when that happens, but as hay is a natural product there is always a risk.
Are you in the uk?

It’s rather disturbing when that happens, but as hay is a natural product there is always a risk.
Are you in the uk?
Yes! I am. The poor thing probably got sliced, which makes me think there are more bits in my batch!

Hay is a natural product, it’s grown in fields in the countryside, animals and birds live in the fields and sadly sometimes get caught in the cutting machinery or when the hay gets put into bales. It’s part and parcel of buying a natural product. Suppose it’s better than plastic or crisp bags, your guinea pig would instinctively know not to touch it

What brand of hay did you have? I’d just try another brand and see how you get on but it’s no guarantee you’ll never find anything like that again
I personally use hay box on subscription so that way every month hay turns up on my doorstep!

Hay is a natural product, it’s grown in fields in the countryside, animals and birds live in the fields and sadly sometimes get caught in the cutting machinery or when the hay gets put into bales. It’s part and parcel of buying a natural product. Suppose it’s better than plastic or crisp bags, your guinea pig would instinctively know not to touch it
You are right! Poor thing

What brand of hay did you have? I’d just try another brand and see how you get on but it’s no guarantee you’ll never find anything like that again
I personally use hay box on subscription so that way every month hay turns up on my doorstep!
Norfolk Pastures, how much is the hay you get?

Expensive!
I pay around £50 per month for 15-20kg of hay (10-15kg of meadow and 5kg of timothy) from haybox
Wow, that is expensive. There isn’t much hay around where I live. I have tried tones, but one hay package had tons of twigs, and someone else said it was moldy. It was so dusty! I got a nice one from The Range but it has been sold out ever since!

Have you tried a local farm shop? We buy a bale for around £4.50 it’s pretty good and local too, the bale lasts a couple of months.

Have you tried a local farm shop? We buy a bale for around £4.50 it’s pretty good and local too, the bale lasts a couple of months.
It was from our local farm shop! It was brand new in store and around £5.

Back