• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Dental And Calicivirus Cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A&T

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My kitten was diagnosed march last yearwith calicivirus. It was diagnosed after his gums were red and inflamed, after having a swab it came back positive for calici.
Anyway, he had a dental clean and put on interferon, the gums wernt as red and no longer inflamed, he had a few teeth out and another dental clean last year. Wethought we were winning against the virus as just before Christmas his gums werelooking excellent!

The beginning of this month he startedeating funny so I had alook at him gums and they were red again. Took him to the vets for a swab and it turns out that the calici is still present and the interferon was keeping it at bay rather than getting rid of it completely. As it's been a year together with the vet I made the decison to have a full mouth extraction (if needed). He's a young cat and I'm pretty sure that the only thing keeping the virus present is the fact its being harboured in the gums and no sooner we get rid of them the virus will be eradicated.
Monday he (tippy) had his operation, they managed to save his lower canines and the front and top incisors, but the rest are gone.
Of course he's had a lot of drilling and has disolverable stitches.

Yesterday I noticed a long big of stitch sticking out his mouth, so I took him back to the vet and they trimmed it off and gave him a vetagestic injection. After we got him home he seemed a lot happier now he doesn't have a free bit of stitch flying around.

Anyway, they gave me oral vetagestic aswell as metacam. Has normally really good and jumps up the table takes his meds and waits for a treat! But not with vetagestic. He HATES it. I managed to get it down him last night but he shook his head and flung a load out. This morning he was far to aware of what that smell was so I got maybe 0.1 down him (hes meant to have 0.3). I tried again at 1pm with wrapping him in a towel but again he shook his head and flung a load out. He's meant to have at least two a day three if possible.
I'm just wondering if even if he flicks it out does it still have any affect?

Also has started sneezing... Like.. Leaving his mouth a bit open and doing a sneeze. Sometimes he's have a little sneezing fit. I wonder if this is because his mouth is painful? Or is it the vetagestic?

I'm pretty sure he's not in pain.. But the stitches must be uncomfortable for him.
He's on 3kg mark of metacam once a day, is that enough to make most of the pain go? Really what I want to know if how important the vetagestic is, there's not much I can do about him shaking his head and flinging it out.

Thanks! Any advice would be great.

Calici is horrible, I feel for you both.

Vetergesic is a partial opioid pain relief. Metacam is a non steroidal (much like paracetamol like medication).

If you are struggling that much with it I would stop and see how he is? We sometimes will try patients without pain medication just to monitor the effect. Metacam will most definitely have some effect, and to be honest most of the time we will often just send animals home with just this unless it's a hugely painful procedure. Not suggesting that it isn't sore. With patients who have a spay will go home just on metacam (in a good practice) but a cheap clinic will often send them home with nothing (which I don't agree with).

You will know your cat. Try him without and see. If you see any withdrawn behaviour, reluctance to eat, pawing at his mouth or just general unease I would consider restarting it. There are other options, so if you struggle then calling the vet for advice would be good. They may even let you inject him with vetergesic if your willing/happy to do.

The sneezing it likely from the hate of the vetergesic or the irritation of the stitches. It's not usually a sign of pain. If we struggle with oral medication in cats they do sometimes sneeze and/or drool from the medication.

Hope all that makes some sense.

x

Calici is horrible, I feel for you both.

Vetergesic is a partial opioid pain relief. Metacam is a non steroidal (much like paracetamol like medication).

If you are struggling that much with it I would stop and see how he is? We sometimes will try patients without pain medication just to monitor the effect. Metacam will most definitely have some effect, and to be honest most of the time we will often just send animals home with just this unless it's a hugely painful procedure. Not suggesting that it isn't sore. With patients who have a spay will go home just on metacam (in a good practice) but a cheap clinic will often send them home with nothing (which I don't agree with).

You will know your cat. Try him without and see. If you see any withdrawn behaviour, reluctance to eat, pawing at his mouth or just general unease I would consider restarting it. There are other options, so if you struggle then calling the vet for advice would be good. They may even let you inject him with vetergesic if your willing/happy to do.

The sneezing it likely from the hate of the vetergesic or the irritation of the stitches. It's not usually a sign of pain. If we struggle with oral medication in cats they do sometimes sneeze and/or drool from the medication.

Hope all that makes some sense.

x
It really is horrible :( I'm hoping that now the teeth are gone thay the calici will work its way out of the system!

He hasn't had the vetergesic for 24 hours,And I think.. That he may be sneezing less! However, he does have a runny eye.
He's spent most of the day sleeping with the occasionally trip outside to see what's going on but then back inside to go to sleep.
He's eating fine mostly pâté food or A/D but he doesn't seem as if he's struggling at all. But then.. He's always had painful teeth because of the calicivirus giving him sore inflamed gums so its hard to tell if he's in any pain. But I defiantly don't think he's 'himself' he is sleeping a lot more than I think he normally would but I think that's because when he is awake he's sneezing or trying to sneeze.

I'm going to knock the vetergesic off like you said, he's still eating, and actually accidental got a bit of dry food earlier and ate it no problem before I got there to pick it up (multi cat household is tough when you have certain cats that can't eat certain things).
I'm a VNA and the vet I use knows I can inject and will do if needs be! I might suggest that actually. I'm due back next week but if he's still bad and sleepy by Saturday dispite me stopping the vetergesic I'll take him on Saturday.

How long do you think it will be before the stitches start to dissolve? Or at least become less.. Uncomfortable?
I'm guessing 2-3 weeks for them to be fully dissolved?

Thank you so much for your reply!
I should know all this stuff but when its your own pet you question everything!
I just want him to be a happy pain free cat now :( he's only a year and 6 months bless him.

It's ok. Don't worry. It's always different when it's your own, I do understand.

I stitches will likely dissolve within a week (give or take), and the gums will start healing very quickly although may take a little longer than normal due to the virus. I remember having stitches in my own mouth, just very annoying more than anything to be honest.

I'm glad he's eating ok, most cats won't eat if they are feeling under the weather. It may be that he's just feeling a bit sorry for himself, I know I would if I had a lot of teeth out.

x

It's ok. Don't worry. It's always different when it's your own, I do understand.

I stitches will likely dissolve within a week (give or take), and the gums will start healing very quickly although may take a little longer than normal due to the virus. I remember having stitches in my own mouth, just very annoying more than anything to be honest.

I'm glad he's eating ok, most cats won't eat if they are feeling under the weather. It may be that he's just feeling a bit sorry for himself, I know I would if I had a lot of teeth out.

x

Oh thats not too bad then, at least he won't have to deal with weird feeling of the stitches for weeks!

There was a development this morning.. Or.. Maybe a set back. He wouldn't eat the A/D that had his meds in so I tried to hand feed as much of it as I could. But it wasn't much. I rang the vet who have given me an antibiotic tablet to give twice a day. Not sure how I should give it though... Especially if he's not eating much I can't grind it up and put it in his food.
I've given tablets straight in the mouth before but never managed it with my own cats! I've got a tablet dispenser I could try actually

I do feel for him :( just need to keep reminding myself its for the best! And at the end of it he'll hopefully be virus free and a normal cat who can eat without pain :) x

It's for the best, having teeth out will make his life much less sore in the long run. I would try to tablet if you can. I tend to always use a pill giver/popper when I do as I'm often not brave enough to pop my fingers so far in. You could try gently wrapping in a towel, but I know you don't want to stress him either.

Sorry, not a huge amount of help on the medication front. I'm generally at the consensus that sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. I recently took my own dogs bloods at home and felt pretty mean doing so but also realised that it was for his own good. (He has lifelong hepatitis).

Good luck with he medicating. Let me know if I can help in anyway.

x

It's for the best, having teeth out will make his life much less sore in the long run. I would try to tablet if you can. I tend to always use a pill giver/popper when I do as I'm often not brave enough to pop my fingers so far in. You could try gently wrapping in a towel, but I know you don't want to stress him either.

Sorry, not a huge amount of help on the medication front. I'm generally at the consensus that sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. I recently took my own dogs bloods at home and felt pretty mean doing so but also realised that it was for his own good. (He has lifelong hepatitis).

Good luck with he medicating. Let me know if I can help in anyway.

x

So.. I tried the pill dispenser thought 'GOT IT DOWN IN ONE!' then found it on the floor... :(! Anyway, managed to get all if not at least over half of a tablet down him earlier. Also dabbed a bit of olbas oil on a tissue and put it on a table nearish where he was sleeping. He just woke up and came to the kitchen when I was feeding the other cats, he managed to take a whole crushed up tablet in some tuna and then had some more normal cat food! So so happy! The relief! Hopefully now these antibiotics will start kicking in and he can start a proper recovery!

Yeah I keep telling myself 'cruel to be kind' when I start to feel really guilty! It will be all worth it in the end!

God really?! You took bloods at home! You must have a really good dog! Or he must trust you a lot! Poor thing though!

Thank you so much for all your advice though! I really appreciate it a lot! I'll keep you updated on how he gets on :) x

Just wanted to go I'm sorry about your boy. Poor gumsy babe :(
I hope he feels better soon!
x

Reactions: A&T
I can't help with any advice,

But I just wanted to wish you and Tippy luck! It must be so hard for you both! I hope he will be better quickly!
It must be so hard for cats without their teeth! Poor Tippy :(

Keep us updated, good luck xx

Thank you guys!

Yeah :( although ive aeen teethless cats eat dry food! Dont know how they do it!:blink:
I will keep you updated :)! And post a few photos tomorrow of his 'I feel sorry for myself' face! @Abbie

Haha gumsy! That could stick @Coco&Luna

Yeah :( although ive aeen teethless cats eat dry food! Dont know how they do it!:blink:
I will keep you updated :)! And post a few photos tomorrow of his 'I feel sorry for myself' face! @Abbie

Oooo. That must be difficult for them:hmm: my cat would be lost without his teeth! He loves his food way too much!
Looking forward to photos, I adore Tippy, he is beautiful! Shame he has to go through all of this :(

My OH had a gumsy 13 year old dog. Well she had one wobbly tooth that stuck out her mouth over her lip......she was a total babe.......haha
She could eat anything though, never bothered at all, and still had a good go at gumming a bone.
........................................that sounded awful.

My OH had a gumsy 13 year old dog. Well she had one wobbly tooth that stuck out her mouth over her lip......she was a total babe.......haha
She could eat anything though, never bothered at all, and still had a good go at gumming a bone.
........................................that sounded awful.

Woooowwww get to the naughty corner with that comment! :)):))

It is amazing how resilient animals are to these kinda things!
Bet she was a right looked with a sticky out wobbly tooth bless her!:love:

Oooo. That must be difficult for them:hmm: my cat would be lost without his teeth! He loves his food way too much!
Looking forward to photos, I adore Tippy, he is beautiful! Shame he has to go through all of this :(

Just gave him some softened dry food he actually seemed to manage it okay! Tippy loves his food too! Or he nornally does! Think he's getting his appetite back though! He's come looking for a second breakfast! Cheeky boy!

Toothless pets eat dry food often. They either swallow them whole or their gums harden and they crunch them.

Yes, I took blood at home. He doesn't enjoy it but with two vet nurses at home he's a good boy and let's us take it. His hepatitis is longterm so he will have to get used to it.

Hope your boy is starting to feel better!?

x

Toothless pets eat dry food often. They either swallow them whole or their gums harden and they crunch them.

Yes, I took blood at home. He doesn't enjoy it but with two vet nurses at home he's a good boy and let's us take it. His hepatitis is longterm so he will have to get used to it.

Hope your boy is starting to feel better!?

x

I think he swallowed it hole! He did it again today I thought oh I'll pick it up, but he seems to be managing fine so just left it.

Aww bless him! He's a lucky boy to have two vet nurses at home. At least he doesn't have to go into the vets to have them done!

I think he is, although this morning was a bit of a struggle, he wouldn't eat the tuna that had the tablet and the metacam in it, so had to waste a tablet and crush another one up and hand feed him it hidden in some pate! Then I had to give him the metacam straight in his mouth, but he was a good boy.

The antibiotics should start kicking in soon shouldn't they? He has this weird head twitch sometimes.. Like something is pulling his head to the side a little? Could that be a stitch pulling or something? X

Could be the gums annoying him. If he continues though, it might be worth having his ears just checked next time he's in for a check up. Yes, the antibiotics should be kicking in well before now. I'm glad there is some progress, even if small.

Thinking of you both.

x

Just a quick update on how tippy is doing now, he seems to be back to his normal self! He deteriorated after the last post I put up, so I took him back to the vets because he wasn't eating anything and getting a full antibiotic down him was impossible, I've never seen him like that before, he literally didnt move for about two whole days, just slept but uninterested in everything. So I took him back to the vets who gave him a long lasting antibiotic and also a long lasting pain killer.

They a lot looked in his mouth and on the right side where there wasn't any stitches was nice and healthy pink, healing well, but the side with the stitches was red and inflamed so he took the stitches out, I've been keeping an eye on them and the gums on the side where the stitches was removed is now nice and pink and normal again :D!

Anyway he's doing really well now and is 100% back to his old self! If not better! He's eating well and even managing dry food fine! Now I'm gunna have to watch his weight!

Thank you for all your help though @Abi_nurse :D

Here's a few photos of him now
20150522_125213_zpszcvtpdkx.jpg

20150522_125221_zpseah2rhxk.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back