• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Diabetic? or something else..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi :)p

took one my piggies (Chu) to the vets today due to her drinking loads of water every day and regular eating yet not putting on any weight..

So the vet checked out, all teeth fine (molars check was a funny one :)) ) and checked out her stomach (no pain)... Chu is looking fine, her fur is good condition.. just the fact she is drinking loads and eating normal.. (infact a healthy apitite) but not putting on anyweight, and when she sits down or even walks she has a slight huntch..

Has anyone ever heard of this?

So the vet diagnosed either diabetic (but I am going to send in a urine sample in to check if it is this) and in the mean time the vet put her on anitibiotics encase she has a infection.. I agreed, just to try it, at least that would rule out that option if it doesnt/does work...

Once i have handed in her urine sample the vet will phone me with the result..

IF it isnt diebeties.. then a blood test is needed..

What Iam asking is.. the vet said IF it is diabeties..due to her diet she will have to be housed on her own...:( i ideally dont want that as she has 4 friends she lives with, and then she would be very lonely :(

What options do I have IF i have a diebetic piggy?

*** Esther x

My pig, was recently put to sleep. We believe due to diabetes, it was left untreated for so long. The first urine sample we took wasn't fresh and very small quantity, showed nothing.

I emailed a lady called Patricia, this is her website:
http://patriciasimon.shawwebspace.ca/

She has two diabetic pigs, she informed me diabetes in pigs is the same as Cats, Dogs and Humans.

A positive glucose reading from a urine sample isn't 100% proof of diabetes, as stress or illness/infection can cause temporary elevated levels. However, when you follow this with a high glucose reading in the blood, it absolutely indicates diabetes. You just need a drop of blood for the test. My vet tested Bettes urine, and then pricked her behind the ear and got a drop of blood both showed high glucose.

Brief overview of diabetes in animals.
http://www.caninediabetes.org/pdorg/diabetes_concepts.htm

I also believe diabetes, can sometimes be controlled by diet. I don't know anything about that.

Last edited:
As Joanne says I would ask for a blood test x

I think what I shall do is.. as soon as i take in the urine sample i will book her in for a blood test...its strange you saying all they done was a prick behind her ear for a blood test...the vet made it sound so complicated.. saying that they have to shave an area then put her back in her cage to "calm down" from the procedure THEN bring her out again to then take the blood test..then maybe if she wiggles and because they have small veins they may have to knock her out for it.. all this to stop her from getting all "stressed out" this was because i said "can't we just take a blood test now?" (while i was at the vets) then the vet gave me this dribble about how they take blood tests.. arrghh so annoying when i know they could of easily done a little prick behind her ear to take a test...:)>>>

*** esther x

When we were ruling out kidney failure, my vet said she would need to be put under GA, and blood taken from her neck(I never did pick that option).

In America, they deliberately cut the quick of the pig, too test kidneys and diabetic. My vet told me point blank he would not even consider this option, as he believes it is barbaric.

Bette went down hill rapidly. After the vet tested her urine, he said before giving me my options he wanted to be sure this when he did the pin prick test, I don't know if this was normal practice.

We decided it would be kinda to let her go as by this point she was passing blood, and in alot of pain.

I then started asking questions and reading about diabetes. This is how I found out the limited information that I did.

Bette didn't make a noise when we took the blood, and as Patricia says one drop is all that is needed.

oh no... i knew i shouldnt of read the article about diabeties... its got me scared that she has it now..:Ayociexp113: although saying that, both my parents have it.. but obviously its easier in humans than guinea pigs to control.. I'm just dreading if she has to have a certain diet that she will housed on her own forvever just so she is getting the right food.. mallethead

But i have to wait a couple of days 1st to see if it may be the antibiotics that would help?! then get a urine sample..

*** esther x

I would recommend reading about Patricia's guinea pigs. The above link I posted.

I know one of her pigs is now in remission, and the other on medication. Glynis also has a diabetic Guinea Pig, which is controlled with Diet who I believe lives with a friend, so I see no reason for your girl too live on her own.

Laura or Glynis maybe able to advise on controlling it by Diet.

Last edited:
I would recommend reading about Patricia's guinea pigs. The above link I posted.

I know one of her pigs is now in remission, and the other on medication. Glynis also has a diabetic Guinea Pig, which is controlled with Diet who I believe lives with a friend, so I see no reason for your girl too live on her own.

Laura or Glynis maybe able to advise on controlling it by Diet.

Oh yeh i just reading about that actually... lol, its reasuring to know you can get a oral medication... i dont think i could handle injecting my piggy with insulin everyday.... :{ and that *some* piggies glucose levels go back to normal after months of treatment.. and its good to know that she can have a friend with her xx>>> I'm feeling abit better about it now.. (obviously not for her tho :( ) but i like the fact i have an extra *special* piggie to look after ") x)

Thankyou for all your help

*** esther x

well sent in urine sample to vets and it came back as she either has a UTI or cystisis... they found a small drop of blood in her unrine.. so I'm carrying on with the anitibiotics.. Iam going to book her in the vets (for 2moro hopefully) to get some more anitibiotics and to confirm what is happening to her (due to my dad taking the phone call message about the results mallethead doh!) and speak to the vets a bit more about her..

I'm so pleased that she wont have to be house ina seperate cage now, now the fact it isnt diabeties..

I have been reading that pure unsweetend cranberry juice (dilluted) is good to help with UTI can this be used while she is on baytril? i realise you cannot use the human cranberry juice..

*** esther x

HI Esther,

I am glad the diabetes concern was unfounded. The condition is not a death sentence in guinea pigs as it can be controlled, the risk is often in the diagnosis itself. http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=58666

Cystitis (UTI) is very common, I am glad the vet picked up on it. The best treatment is an alternative antibiotic, Septrin (Baytril can do the job, but sometimes it doesn't and it's not ideal), along with an anti-inflammatory and plenty of fluids. Cranberry juice is ok but it can actually make the problem worse in some cases, I tend to stick with plain water.

HI Esther,

I am glad the diabetes concern was unfounded. The condition is not a death sentence in guinea pigs as it can be controlled, the risk is often in the diagnosis itself. http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=58666

Cystitis (UTI) is very common, I am glad the vet picked up on it. The best treatment is an alternative antibiotic, Septrin (Baytril can do the job, but sometimes it doesn't and it's not ideal), along with an anti-inflammatory and plenty of fluids. Cranberry juice is ok but it can actually make the problem worse in some cases, I tend to stick with plain water.

Thankyou for your help :rose the vet also said (Chu has been quite huntched with this "illness") that if i was worried she was in pain she could go on pain killers so she is also on a small dose of metacam to help her... but if nothing inproves in a week/5days then stop.. but if she is getting better I half the dose. I'm just relieved it is UTI and not diabeties...i have notice on the forum that UTI is it popular with piggies and I'm also getting myself a set of digital scales as she has lost alot of weight with this, BUT since her check up she has put on a small amount of weight, which Iam so chuffed with :a19: so the treatment is slowly working, although she has been put on batril for a month.

Esther x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back