• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1_winged_angel

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think Patch needs to go on a diet as he has a small case of middle age spread! He is 2 and a half years old and weighs about 2KG! Is this normal or does my little Pudge need to lose some weight?

it is a little high but as when they get older they tend to lose weight i wouldnt worry too much mayb jest dont feed him fruit.

Hes a bit on the heavy side - my 1400g abby is huuuuge!

How much do you feed him?

He has a nice bowl of guinea pig crunch and some veggies throughout the day, he also snacks on his hay a lot, he is a bit of a porker, but we love him so much! But he has gained a lot of weight since his cage mate died

hay should be unlimited, pellets should be i believe 30-50grams per piggy per day. which veggies? and how much?

hay should be unlimited, pellets should be i believe 30-50grams per piggy per day. which veggies? and how much?

He loves carrot so he has that every few days, brocolli, again a few florets every few days, i tend to alternate, he has a sprout, some apple as a treat, some banana skins as a treat...

I do spoil him every so often with guinea pig choc drop treats as he LOVES them and is such a good boy

I give mine a handful of gerty guinea pig (per pig) and they should always have unlimited hay as its about 70% of their diet.

Does he get to run around?

When you say weighs about 2kg - have you weighed him or just guessing roughly?

fruit is high in sugar so should only be fed as a treat once a week at most, carrot i beleive also has sugar in, and I'm not sure but i dont think they should have chocolate drops at all.

as hannah say's have you actually weighed him recently?

1800g is high but not overweight.

this is from a previous thread on weight

The normal weight range is about 900-1400g, but piggies can weigh from less than 800g-1800g and still be healthy. Normally they reach their adult weight between 12-15 months old; after six months old, the weight gasin is starting to slow down. As far as I know, neutering does not affect the weight. My own neutered boar was weighing about 1250g - 1300g in his chubbiest times.

There are no fixed weight charts because the range in adult weight is so wide.

Last edited:
fruit is high in sugar so should only be fed as a treat once a week at most, carrot i beleive also has sugar in, and I'm not sure but i dont think they should have chocolate drops at all.

as hannah say's have you actually weighed him recently?

weighed him yesterday, the choc drops are by rotastak and says theyre for guineas, hamsters and girbils. looks like theyre off the menu now :)

yes the fruit stick and thinks also say they are suitable for guniea pigs but aren't really. i think its a con to get you to buy them. piggies are happier with veg :)) i do feed mine Fenugreek Crunchies occasionaly

Last edited:
1800g is high but not overweight.

this is from a previous thread on weight

The normal weight range is about 900-1400g, but piggies can weigh from less than 800g-1800g and still be healthy. Normally they reach their adult weight between 12-15 months old; after six months old, the weight gasin is starting to slow down. As far as I know, neutering does not affect the weight. My own neutered boar was weighing about 1250g - 1300g in his chubbiest times.

There are no fixed weight charts because the range in adult weight is so wide.

Thats reassuring, Patch isn't neutered yet, but I am considering it, but would have loved some pups from him as he has an amazing character. But as I am not experienced it wouldn't be appropriate for me to breed them.

yes the fruit stick and thinks also say they are suitable for guniea pigs but aren't really. i think its a con to get you to buy them. piggies are happier with veg :)) i do feed mine fengruuk crunchies occasionaly

I did get them for my Robrovinski Hamster to train him, but he was having none of it, then Patch found the packet and stuck his head in there! Cheeky monkey! But I will def not use them in future and stick to veggies.

Patch has been having a work out with the pups!

if you do get him neutered you may have to do it soon some vets dont like to operate on boars after 2-3 years old.

I did get them for my Robrovinski Hamster to train him, but he was having none of it, then Patch found the packet and stuck his head in there! Cheeky monkey! But I will def not use them in future and stick to veggies.

Patch has been having a work out with the pups!

work out with the pups? what pups?

they will eat anything given a chance mine like my kitchen cupboards and my carpets!

Yes I wouldn't leave neutering him too long as the older they get the more risky it could be.

1800g isn't too bad but you sure don't really want him to gain much more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back