Dirty Pigs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romily

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Aaaarrrgggghhhhh grrrr

As well as being really mean and noisy today my piggies are also exceptionally dirty! I am having real trouble cleaning the bottom of their cage. I have tried soaking it is bleach, scrubbing it and I have even tried wall paper scraper all to no avail! How do I get the muck off??

lauralucy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
ok deep breath and breathe, what sort of muck? and what is on the bottom of your cage correx?

Romily

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It is a giant shop bought cage and I usually layer it with newspaper and then shavings but I didn't have any news papers so I put the shavings straight in and where they have been peeing is a dark brown coating. It just wont move!

lauralucy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
ok have you tried vinegar? it might be that it has stained the plastic. not much help sorry.:(

Beautifulmess

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm afraid, once it's there it's almost impossible to get off. I've had cages with the same, it dries white usually. Just be careful with the bleach and just cover with newspaper from now on :).

We have two cages with ridged floors which are almost impossible to clean properly :(

slackalice2k

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I got some second hand cages, and they had the wee stains, if you can bear the smell use white vinegar, it stinks but really works. Best to use in a ventilated area and leave on as long as possible.

Romily

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I only resorted to bleach because the animal cleaning spray and vinegar did nothing to shift it. I will make sure that it is throughly scrubbed and washed out after.

slackalice2k

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It needs to be the real cheap white vinegar about 11p for a big bottle, and leave it on for a couple of hours. I soak kitchen roll in it and leave it there for hours, just keep topping up the kitchen roll. It does need a fair bit of rinsing though afterwards.

But then the cages I bought were for spares anyway so my piggies were not made destitute while it worked it's magic.:(|)

PS white vinegar is great for cleaning windows too. Only use on the outside though if you want to avoid your house smelling like a fish and chip shop.:)>>>

jeni

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've had that problem. A good soak and scrub got some of it off but not all. I now line the bottom with plastic sheeting, I'm not sure where it is from it was in the shed when i moved in. I think its **** used a liner for roofs etc. I just give that a wipe after I've rolled the newspaper up. Mine are a mucky too!

Status
Not open for further replies.