• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Dizzies tilted head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Iv had my rabbit Dizze now for about 3 years.
I rescued him from a farm where the dogs had attacked him and he had just been left in his cage, so i kinda robbed him XD (they never noticed he was gone tho!)
I took him to the vet and he had puncture wonds on his shoulders and on his back where the dog obvioulsy had had him in his mouth.
He was on antibiotics for months, and had to be injected twice a day with some different antibiotics too.
But through all his treatment he was SO lovley and has never ever bit me or kicked out (which you thought he'd do) all he dose is lick you and snuggle up to you, it's like he's greatful for everything.

Over the year he developed a tilted head, where he always had his head on one side, it didn't seem to bother him, he just fell over every now and then, we took him to the vets incase it was something serious and she just gave us more antibiotics for an ear infection that he obvioulsy didn't have, so clearly that didn;t help the problem.
Recently though in the past few month he can no longer hold his head up =[ he's just constantly falling over and will spend ages just lying on his back.

He can still eat and drink and everything fine, so its not like he can't eat etc, it's almost like he's lost all his neck muscles.
I put a padded guinea pig tunnel in his cage for him to prop his head up onto, and he smeemed to really like having something to put his head on
He must get such neck ache =[

I don't want to take him to the vets cus i no they'll just put him down, and i think that'll be unfair after everything he's gone through, he's survived pretty much everything.
He's just like a new born baby and cant support his own head...

Is there anything i can do for him, or make that i could put around hiis neck to support his head, would putting a cone around help, cutting it down so it dosnt cover his whole head

He's such a happy little bunny, he's just a bit disabled

x

Ear problems can cause balance issues. Maybe a bone in dizzies ears was damaged during the attack and that could account for the balance problem. another thought is maybe a nerve in dizzies neck was damaged and that is why the head cannot be supported. Poor dizzie. If he is still eating and drinking then I wouldnt think its an infection as that may affect the appetite. Hope you find out what it is..

I would expect that this has something to do with his previous encounter with that dog. Sending Dizzie healing (((((((vibes))))))). x

Maybe you could try going to the vet again and see what they do, or change your vet. I mean they can't FORCE you to put him to sleep, can they?

Thinking of your lovely bunny. xx

I took Dizzie to the vets and they checked his ears and things to check to see if he could have an ear infection but they vet said it looked like he had a stroke, she checked his eyes and he had got internal bleeding to one of his eyes which she said was a sign of a stroke or a hemorrhage.

In the end he had to be put down; the vet said even if they tried him with drugs etc to rule out the possibility of an ear infection his head wouldn't straighten up, and because of the bleeding in his eye he would need nerve operations and could end up loosing his eye in the process.
But beecause he could no longer support his head and had the bleeding in his eye it was a recommended that he got him put down =[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back