• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Do I get a new guinea pig?

natters84

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am thinking this weekend of getting a new guinea pig.
My question is with the 2 weeks quarantine. They will have a week before we go on holiday. They will be going to my mum's.

Do you think this wil be okay?

If you get a baby guinea pig under four months of age you must not quarantine. Social needs for babies are important so you forego quarantine and bond immediately.

It takes two weeks of fully being together for a bond to be fully formed. Also remembering that changing environment will cause them to need to re-establish their relationship. So they will establish when moving to your mums and then need to re-establish when they come back home.

You might find it better to wait until you are back from holiday to get a new piggy so they can be bonded and be in a stable environment in the weeks post bonding day.

If you get a baby guinea pig under four months of age you must not quarantine. Social needs for babies are important so you forego quarantine and bond immediately.

It takes two weeks of fully being together for a bond to be fully formed. Also remembering that changing environment will cause them to need to re-establish their relationship. So they will establish when moving to your mums and then need to re-establish when they come back home.

You might find it better to wait until you are back from holiday to get a new piggy so they can be bonded and be in a stable environment in the weeks post bonding day.
Thank you.

Not sure what to do for the best as don't want to leave buttons on his own for too long

If he has been okay up to now then hopefully he will be okay until you come back. Given they’d have one week before you go away, I agree with holding off until you’re back.

How is he in himself?
The worry with moving them a week after bonding is that it could disrupt them sorting out their hierarchy. Alternatively, if your mum has room for two cages, they could live wide by side until you come back and bond them…

He seems okay on his own.

This is what I am worried about. And also him being on his own too long.

My daughter doesn't want to risk it. So think we will be getting another boar.
I understand. A month is quite a long time generally but realistically if he is not showing signs of loneliness, then I am sure he will be okay a little while longer.
Have you thought about rescuing, fostering at all? Or are you looking for a baby.

I understand. A month is quite a long time generally but realistically if he is not showing signs of loneliness, then I am sure he will be okay a little while longer.
Have you thought about rescuing, fostering at all? Or are you looking for a baby.
Happy with either. We do have a pets at home in town and they have a rescue centre so might have a look there. I have been looking to see if we have any rescue centre local but most of them are all ready in pairs.

Happy with either. We do have a pets at home in town and they have a rescue centre so might have a look there. I have been looking to see if we have any rescue centre local but most of them are all ready in pairs.

Single piggies are not often advertised at rescues, you need to call them to enquire.

The thing with getting a piggy from a pet shop is that you dont know if they will be compatible. While more boars pairs make it together than not, with an on spec bonding with a pet shop piggy you need to prepare for a failure and then having to live separately side by side.

Back