• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

do i need to put my daughter on a diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my daughter is 9 yrs old,and she weights 6stone 11lbs,i just went on google and put in average weight for a 9 year old and it came back with 5stone 1lbs,do i need to put her on a diet,she doesnt look fat,she has a cubby belly but they rest of her is solid,shes 4ft 8inches tall,ive always had a problem with my weight and i dont want her going down the same road,its mentally scaring,if i did put her on a diet,how do i approach it without her knowing it is a diet,
if there's any peditricians on here the info would be greatly received

thanks

she does like her junk food,but i do make healthy homemade foods,i do make her eat her veggies,n incourage both my girls to eat lots of fruit,given half the chance i think shed just eat rubbish,for breakfast she'll have a slice of toast,take a banana to school,school dinner,then when she comes home she'll have a sandwich and some crisps,bout half hr later she'll be hungry again,so she'll have a quick snack,then about 6ish ill have dinner done,which could be anything from liver n onions,to sty-fry etc,
when i think of it now.she does eat a lot,but their mainly snacks n all the time,her and her sister always ask for food,and i do give good size meals,
mmmhh its probably me the problem!think i need to write down exactly what she has and re-evaluate it.

4piggiepigs

Adult Guinea Pig
I would just give smaller portion's but you probably don't need to worry about her weight yet when she hit's puberty it's all going to change anyway.

ye i thought about that,she asks me if shes fat,i couldnt belive it,i tell her shes not and not to be daft,i dont want her worrying about it now nor ever!shes only 9,my mum said i used to cry when i was 13-14 over my weight and said she it used to break her heart,
like you said think ill have to cut her potion sizes down and see how it goes xx

no i dont want to at all,shes such a happy girl,when the weathers right she does o out,but latley she doent go out at all,we have a tree swing in the garden and she does spend her time on that,and running like and idiot with her sister haha

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Also, she'll obviously need her 3 main meals a day - breakfast, lunch and tea and then 3 snack meals during the main meal intervals. Snacks could be fruit, carrot sticks, small salad, low cal breakfast bar etc. Snacks are good because it keeps the stomach moving whereas just eating heavy meals slows down the metabolism and the stomach finds it harder to digest

Also, she'll obviously need her 3 main meals a day - breakfast, lunch and tea and then 3 snack meals during the main meal intervals. Snacks could be fruit, carrot sticks, small salad, low cal breakfast bar etc. Snacks are good because it keeps the stomach moving whereas just eating heavy meals slows down the metabolism and the stomach finds it harder to digest
ye luckilly the snacks she has are my weigh****chers ones so their low in calories,

hot fox

Junior Guinea Pig
I'd be really careful being at the other end of the scale, my daughter is 14 and I'm concerned she's not eating enough. I fear it's me saying, omg look at my belly hang-over etc that could have given her a complex! It's too easy to create issues where there isn't one. Both my girls have gone through relatively chunky stages, but they tend to grow up and then out! I would concentrate on eating healthily as a family so she can learn good habits from you, and try not to pass on your concern. I'd rather have a daughter a stone over than a stone under weight. B-(

hot fox

Junior Guinea Pig
I'd be really careful being at the other end of the scale, my daughter is 14 and I'm concerned she's not eating enough. I fear it's me saying, omg look at my belly hang-over etc that could have given her a complex! It's too easy to create issues where there isn't one. Both my girls have gone through relatively chunky stages, but they tend to grow up and then out! I would concentrate on eating healthily as a family so she can learn good habits from you, and try not to pass on your concern. I'd rather have a daughter a stone over than a stone under weight. B-(

DarwinTesla

Junior Guinea Pig
Going by her stats, her BMI puts her at the high end of overweight and the borderline of obese. That's not the end of the world but you're right, kids who are overweight have a strong tendency to remain that way into adulthood if they're allowed.

Personally, I would recommend taking the word diet out of your vocabulary. :D When people say diet they think of something that's temporary, and that just ends up with the persons weight yo-yo-ing which isn't good for you either. When we're talking about improving eating habits we need to be thinking of changing the way they eat (which normally means, the way we cook) rather than a temporary, short, sharp shock of weightc-cutting.

The best thing you can do is experiment and find good healthy meals that the kids enjoy, cut out the sugar/salt snacks, sugary sodas, and constrain the portion sizes. For us, we lunch/snack on toasted pita strips + raw red pepper slices/celery + humous, or a fruit salad, or low fat sandwiches. Dinners would be things like chicken caesar salad, tuna baked potatoes, brocolli soup, tuna steaks + salad, chicken and rice etc.

We also find it a lot easier to stick with, and much cheaper, if we buy everything fresh from the market and make them at home rather than buying any 'healthy' pre-packaged time-savers - though if you don't mind the cost it's probably a nice shortcut.

Also if you can get hold of a juicer making fresh juice is fantastic for snacking. It's healthy, kids love it and it's surprising how much it fills you up.

It's also worth measuring the progress. People will always be less tempted to go back to bad habits if they can see and quantify actual progress for all their hard work.

Beautifulmess

Adult Guinea Pig
Hey, I was 10 stone at the age of 10 and I still didn't look fat, but I think for her own well being later on in life, just cut her portions down (the whole family too), don't let her know she's over weight in any way, try and cut the snacks out or add healthy stuff, she's more likely to eat fruit if thats all thats in and maybe suggest a activity to do, swimming or something :) She's got a growth spurt to go yet, she'll hit 13-14 and zoom into the sky so hopefully it's what we all know as puppyfat <3 remember it's about her health but later on to her, it'll be about her self esteem and appearance.
I wish someone had stopped me from my weekly KFC (which I don't even touch now) and encouraged me to do more activites :( I'm 15 stone atm, I don't look it for some reason but it's too high and the older you get the harder it is, I lost 3 stone as a teen really easily so its best now rather than later. I lost 9 pound on WW btw so I was larger than 15 stone. <3 and its still coming off. Hope that it works out. x

I was a solid child (but also very tall) and then went slimmer as I got older but unfortunately I also became less active and now I weigh a lot more than I wish too.
Please don't put her on a diet but just look carefully at what she eats, I feel bad as both of my girls have grown up listening to me go on about dieting and now when I hear my 7 year old ask if she's fat it breaks my heart (she's not fat at all in fact according to her school health report she's just under weight)
I really do not believe in these charts that state what you should and shouldn't be as there are plenty of larger people who are healthy.
In fact my brother was classed as being overweight with his bmi as he was really muscley at the time.
A lot of people just need time to grow in to their skin, my eldest daughter went through a period of feeling fat and ugly but she's not at all she's nearly 13 and is 5'6" tall around 9 stone in weight and takes a size 6 shoe, I do not think she's big at all just normal but when she sees these pop stars and wags weighing in at 8st she feels fatgrrrr.
My youngest is 7 and is just under 4st and above 4' tall and takes a size 1 shoe, people say she's stocky and big but she's not her waist is tiny and she can fit in age 5 clothes (just not long enough).
Good luck with whatever you decide x

MrsM

Senior Guinea Pig
have you thought about asking advice from your GP? I regularly get given leaflets and things from Change4Life which talk about healthy alternatives to snacks and age-appropriate portions.

Exercising is also very important (just running around in the park/garden etc, not going to the gym 3 times a week) too and lifts your spirits, so less likely to become depressed and comfort eat because of issues with self-image.

Home cooking is not necessarily less fattening than pre-cooked meals. I think you need to have a look at what a child her age should get in terms of proportions of each food category and the amount... At home, we have our 5 a day every day, eat lots of salads, vegetables, don't drink pop, don't eat too much junk, etc and yet we're both tight in our clothes... the portions are too big AND we have our main meal in the evening which is a dietary no-no unless you have rampant sex all night every night! :)))

so, in short, my advice is get a professional to avise you before you start anything drastic.

DarwinTesla

Junior Guinea Pig
I really do not believe in these charts that state what you should and shouldn't be as there are plenty of larger people who are healthy.
In fact my brother was classed as being overweight with his bmi as he was really muscley at the time.
Yeah as BMI is largely just a function of height/weight/age, it doesn't apply to people who have a higher than average amount of muscle. Also, while there is an obvious correlation, it's also not directly a 'healthiness' indicator either. You can definitely be thin and unhealthy, as you can be overweight and still quite healthy (which I imagine is doubly true for youngsters). E.g. it doesn't take into account anything like % body fat, cholesterol, blood pressure, etc etc. It's purely just a height/weight guideline.

thanks for all the huuuuge info girls,I'm going to take everything that has been said onboard,i dont say diet to her,and never in my life have i or ever will point out she needs to go on one,just from my own experiences i worry for her,its so depressing when your in your teens,i dont want her going through the same,i suppose its me just worrying too much,thanks so much guys xx

BellasMummy

Senior Guinea Pig
I worked for the NHS earlier this year and i would suggest you find out more about portion sizes. I think you would be suprised at how much is the ideal portion size. It shocked me when i found out about the amount of pasta for example that a child should have.
Also visit the Change4Life website as that has some good ideas and also snackswappers etc.
I wouldn't put her on a 'diet' as such just make sure she gets plenty of fruit and veg and only a small amount of fast food.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.