• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Do I wait to take my pregnant guinea pig to the vet?

SandyPD

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I was sold a pregnant guinea pig without my knowledge, and she’s developed what I believe to be a URI. She’s cackling and occasionally sneezes. I plan on taking her in no matter what, but the problem is, she’s an extremely stressed and skittish pig! She is afraid of everything, and that’s no exaggeration. It took a VERY long time for her to get out of freeze mode after bringing her home. I’ve left her alone since I noticed she was abnormally putting on weight. She isn’t tamed yet and she’s already in the later stages of pregnancy, she’s big enough to feel the babies kicking around in there. Violently, lol. I live about an hour away from the nearest vet, I'm far out in the country. I’m afraid the stress that comes with a vet visit will lead to her having a miscarriage/stillborns. That’s a long trip! Do I wait until she gives birth? Might be a stupid question but I really want to see her little babies.. but I’m scared the babies will get sick too. Idk I’m very torn on what’s best

Leaving a potential URI untreated is not a good idea. I would take her to the vet despite everything you mention.

What are her symptoms to make you think it’s a URI?
Any idea how long until the babies arrive?

Leaving a potential URI untreated is not a good idea. I would take her to the vet despite everything you mention.

What are her symptoms to make you think it’s a URI?
Any idea how long until the babies arrive?

I’ve been leaning towards that too, it’s scary though with how long she’ll be in the car on top of being terrified by the vet. She’s such a
She’s been sneezy since I got her, but I thought it was just the dusty hay bc she didn’t show any other symptoms. But in the last two days, I can hear crackling like she’s got build up of mucus. She makes this “chewing” sound almost constantly but I thought she was just talking to herself.. but I can’t find a YouTube video to compare that unknown noise to.. !?
I’d take a guess and say she’s at her 7th-8th week, I’m sure it’ll be towards the end of February! She’s huge :’) it’s very exciting but beyond stressful

Last edited by a moderator:
I think she needs to go to the vet. It is too long to wait until the end of her pregnancy. If she does have a medical issue, then leaving it unchecked reduces the chances of a good outcome.

:agr: Put some of her bedding in the carrier with her, and something she can hide in or under. Also cover the carrier so she can feel more secure. Good luck.

I was sold a pregnant guinea pig without my knowledge, and she’s developed what I believe to be a URI. She’s cackling and occasionally sneezes. I plan on taking her in no matter what, but the problem is, she’s an extremely stressed and skittish pig! She is afraid of everything, and that’s no exaggeration. It took a VERY long time for her to get out of freeze mode after bringing her home. I’ve left her alone since I noticed she was abnormally putting on weight. She isn’t tamed yet and she’s already in the later stages of pregnancy, she’s big enough to feel the babies kicking around in there. Violently, lol. I live about an hour away from the nearest vet, I'm far out in the country. I’m afraid the stress that comes with a vet visit will lead to her having a miscarriage/stillborns. That’s a long trip! Do I wait until she gives birth? Might be a stupid question but I really want to see her little babies.. but I’m scared the babies will get sick too. Idk I’m very torn on what’s best

Hi

Un- or undertreated URI is potentially fatal. Please have your girl seen and treated by a vet promptly, ideally as soon as possible within 24 hours.
The immune system of any pregnant and nursing sow is working overtime and is making them more prone to come down with opportunistic issues like respiratory or urinary tract infections, fungal skin infections or skin parasites that can normally be fended off/kept under control by a healthy immune system.
The babies won't catch it in the womb but they will die if their mother dies or is very ill.
This link here contains your information on URI and on your customer rights re. pet shop pregnancy: What to check for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites, ringworm&URI)

For information and ongoing experienced support during the whole period until any babies are ready for separation please open a dedicated support thread in our specially monitored pregnancy section. It is only visible once you have signed up to our very specific non-breeding policy.
Here is our comprehensive pregnancy, birth, mother and baby care information including important diet information: Pregnancy & Baby Care Guide's

Here is the direct link to our pregnancy/baby and sexing section: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/forums/pregnancy-baby-care-and-sexing-no-breeding.11/

Back