Do you work with animals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'd really like to work with animals. In particular I'd like to do a pet care service but I know I'll find out about other animal jobs and so I may find one I like more. Because I know that I want to work with animals but I don't know exactly what I want to do yet I am hoping to get into college next September to do Animal Management at Level 2.
Does anyone work with animals and if you do please could you tell me how you got into it? Like courses etc.
Sorry I know it's quite vague, but I'd really like to hear about some different animal jobs and what is involved in the qualifications etc.

If you don't want to say I understand, sorry for being nosey :)

Beautifulmess

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I work for the cinnamon trust where I walk dogs for the elderly people who need the company but can't do the walking due to health problems <3

I'm afraid mine is volunteer so no qualifications, but I know a few vet nurses got into their jobs by just applying for the position (when it offers training) :) Hope this helps a little. I also know of a zoo keeper who applied for a zoo keeper assisant job and is being trained up.

Gracie01

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hello

I am a senior dog groomer/trainee manager.
I love my job. Its different every day. The industry is always changing with new breeds being introduced, and new equipment.

How i got here? - I always wanted to work with animals. I completed an Animal Management Diploma at college, although this gave me a qualification it didn't give me experience. I actually hated dog grooming at college :))
I started dog grooming 5 years ago. I worked for a business that took on apprentices and completed NVQs 2 and 3 in Animal care. I now work at a new grooming room and am completing a Business Management NVQ.

maybe you could look and contact KEITS www.keits.co.uk

xBeckyx

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have just completed a BSc Animal Management & Science and prior to that I did a national diploma in animal management. I am now a lecturer teaching the national diploma to animal management students. I also
work at the cats protection.
If animals are something you are interested in I would definately go ahead, it's the best thing I ever did! Get on the net and get looking for some courses near you, it really opens doors

Romily

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Why not volunteer in a few different places to get an idea of what the jobs envolve? Then you will be better placed to find the right course. I did that when I wanted to change careers and it made me more confident that I had made the right choice.

sophiew (EAGPR)

Reaction score
I am a self employed dog trainer, and also do day boarding and dog walking for people who have to go out to work and leave their dogs. I run training classes as well as doing one to one sessions and home visits.

I go on as many courses as I can on the dog training front, and have got dog training instructor certificates- there's currently not a recognised qualification, which means that anyone can call themselves a dog trainer... but this is changing.

Experience counts for a lot - I wouldn't feel happy being responsible for other people's pets otherwise, but I have spent years working in boarding and rescue kennels, and working with all sorts of animals, and further years instructing dog training classes, so I don't feel out of my depth now.

Good luck in whatever you do

Sophie
x

furryfriends (TEAS)

Forum Founder
Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Director at TEAS (East Hunsbury) Northampton
I've got a petcare business, 'Little Badger's Pet Care'. Rather than have a rigid structure to what I do, I try and tailor my service to the needs of the client. The biggest part of my business is cat feeding, small animal boarding and dog walking. I also feed small animals, chickens and fish in their own home. I also board and rehabilitate dental piggies, as I have a fantastic vet who I can work in conjunction with.

I love my work and it's so rewarding.

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I used to but not currently as I am doing a business and admin apprenticeship as I would quite like to work as a receptionist at a vets

I have a NVQ in animal management and BHS horse qualifications

Alicia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you :) I have been a dog walker for two years, and also done dog hosting as well. I have got an interview at a college on the 21st December for animal management, and when I'm 16 in June I want to volunteer at Cats Protection

MrsWilsoncroft

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This is a really interesting thread. Thanks to all those who have shared their jobs :)
I'd also love to work with animals, I have always worked in travel so would have no idea where to start and I'm 25 now so feel I've wasted alot of time doing something I don't enjoy.

One of my friends works for a pet sitting company called Fluffy Paws. She loves it but she says sometimes the money is not always great as your not guaranteed work.
x

amywithpiggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Many cool points for wanting to work with animals :) I've wanted to be a vet my whole life but I'm terrified of birds and big dogs so I gave up on the idea in favour of teaching.

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I used to work in a pet shop years ago and Ive also been a horse riding instructor :)

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I used to work in a pet shop years ago and Ive also been a horse riding instructor :)

Caviesgalore (EPGPR)

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I run a pet hotel for small furries. I don't have any formal qualifications in animal care but what I do have is a life times experience of caring for them! x) My business ethos has to be to treat all visitors as if they were my own pets and my clients really appreciate and like this approach.

I do have a Business Studies qualification which helps with the general running/understanding of being self employed.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.