• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Does my feeding routine sound okay?

FurryBabyMama

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was just curious if my feeding routine sounds okay?

My daughter usually wakes me up at 8.30 to 9am. So I've been giving the piggies their breakfast veg at 9.30, cause I'm awake by then pretty much every day. They get a bowl full of veg between them. I'm not sure what the exact quantity I give them is, it's just a normal sized guinea pig/rabbit bowl full of various things. It normally takes them about 6 hours to eat it all, they sorta munch on it throughout the day. I don't think I give them too much, I think they just aren't that keen on the veg I've given them so far. :(

Then they get their tea nuggets at 5.30. I give them two handfuls between them. I have very little hands, so my two handfuls only just cover the bottom of the bowl, again, it's just a normal sized guinea pig/rabbit bowl. They normally take a whole 24 hours to eat them, I don't think they like them that much. I'll be trying different ones when this bag has nearly run out.

Then at 8pm they get a "dessert", which is a bowl full of fresh grass and dandelion leaves from the front gardens. This is the ONLY thing they eat all in one go and get super excited for!

Does this sound okay? I was thinking of adding another meal around lunchtime, so like 1-2pm. Probably 1.30. But they've always still got nuggets and veg in their bowls at this time, so maybe I could add in another bowl of grass and dandelion leaves/flowers?

Obviously they have unlimited hay and water too. ^_^

Sounds good to me, I believe a guinea pig should have around 50g of veg per day, lots of green veg is very good. There are links on here on what you can feed daily eg coriander, celery leaves cucumber etc and high sources of vit c: bell peppers etc. The pellets again is recommended to feed 30-50g/day. There is a nugget comparison chart as a link on here too and many people have posted how much their piggy’s like Harrington’s pellets.

I don't have any scales or anything so I have no idea if I'm feeding 50g of veg..or if I'm feeding 30-50g of pellets. Just a bowl full of veg and two small handfuls of pellets. It looks about the right amount, judging by other peoples photos that I've seen and videos on YouTube

I think it’s a cup of veg per pig per day. Routine sounds just fine. Do they have access to hay anytime as well? Didn’t see it mentioned.

I said at the bottom of the post they have unlimited hay. How much is a cup? Like, a cup that you drink out of?

Sorry, I missed that. Tired. I think a cup as in measuring cup. If you look in the food guides they show a picture of a serving.

That sounds fine.
We all have our own routine for feeding the piggies.
Mine get pellets and hay in the morning which can be anytime between 7;00 - 9:00am. If I’m around they get some veg in the middle of the day. Their main veggies come late afternoon but timing depends on what I’m doing.
Mine aren’t over keen on nuggets but love their hay and veggies.

Sounds good to me, I believe a guinea pig should have around 50g of veg per day, lots of green veg is very good. There are links on here on what you can feed daily eg coriander, celery leaves cucumber etc and high sources of vit c: bell peppers etc. The pellets again is recommended to feed 30-50g/day. There is a nugget comparison chart as a link on here too and many people have posted how much their piggy’s like Harrington’s pellets.

Sorry to jump In but newbie too is that 50g of veg per day per pig please? Xx

I confess I don’t weigh the veggies.
I use a pasta bowl for the veggies and serve a bowl a day for 3 piggies.
With nuggets they get 2 handfuls per day for the 3 of them.

I don’t weigh either. I just go by the photo of a serving that they put in the food guide.

Back