Dog having op

Status
Not open for further replies.

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:'(Jed my staffies ill again, thought he was over illness after his op last year but now hes had a gammy leg and been hopping round on 3 legs for a couple of weeks thought it was arthritus.

Vet thinks it isnt arthritus but prob bad cartilidge damage - he is booked in for an x ray today and if it is what the vet thinks he will want to operate on his knee today, he might need a pin adding or a more complex op where the leg bone is broken and re set with a pin, both major ops. The other possibility is that its a tumor - he wont know til he x rays him.

Got to go to work inbetween dropping him then collect tonight - will be in a right state there but at least day will go quicker, I hope.

Really hope this is last major surgery poor Jed has to go thru.

A very stressed Alison!

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Aww poor Jed. I really do hope things go well for him today. Its probably quite good that your at work because at least you will be keeping busy. When my rabbit Daisy broke her leg, my mum and I just sat outside the vets in the car and we were so worried.

Keep us updated! - I'll keep my fingers crossed that the op is a success!

Ellie
TGPF Admin

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well still dont really know whats going on, Jeds spent all day at the vets didnt get his xray til gone 2pm, we saw the vet at 6.30 have seen the xrays.

Vet now thinks he will not need an op - knee joint not that damaged but is very 'uneven' almost jagged round the edge of knee joint. Vet is hoping its severe arthritus and is treating him for that but he says there is something 'he doesnt like the look of' with the xray. He has warned us that it could be a tumor. If no improvment in 2 weeks then he will do a biopsy on the tissue in that area.

He spent rather too long for my liking describing treatment for cancerous growths - if it is this then its not good in this area.

So will see how he goes over the next 2 weeks.

Alison

H

Hannah

Oh, I hope everything goes ok :( My dog had surgery just a little while ago, I was really worried because he is an old dog, but everything turned out fine.

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
lots of good luck. I hope it's not as bad as you fear. Keep us posted.
x

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Bit of an update on Jed - he's been to the vets tonight but its not good news, the vet says his leg is worse and crumbling - says the cartlidge and ligament is worn away and he needs a major op on it soon.

He will take 6 months to recover but be a bit better in 6-8 weeks. Vets away next week so will be week after will have to take him in. Always a worry and hope we are doing the right thing - but vet doesnt see any other options.

Alison

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
oh dear, I'm so sorry. I really hope it all goes well. Lots of love to you. x

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
So sorry to hear that Alison. You are doing everything you can for Jed.

Let us know how the op goes. I will keep my fingers crossed! :)

H

Hannah

I hope the op goes smoothly! I bet he's getting the best pre-op care there is!

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Got to drop Jed off on the way to work for his op think it will be one stressful day..................just hope I'm doing the right thing? its a big op to put him thru and the aftercare is serious stuff.

Will try to report in later on.................

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
very best of good luck and lots of hugs. Please let us know as soon as you can. x

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Jed has had his op which was a sucsess - a metal plate has been put in and part of the ligament had snapped so had to be removed. Jed is only just coming round now so is staying overnight so he can be checked by the vet and given pain relief. He will hopefully be coming home tomorrow.

Am glad it went well but we have been told we will have to confine him to downstairs and not allow him to climb stairs or jump on the bed etc...or sofas - very worried how we manage this as he is an active dog who wont stay still long. Will have to ask about sedation.Will be glad to see him and carefully give him a big hug tomorrow!

Alison

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh I am pleased! You must feel so relieved. I am sure you'll mange to keep him under control. I bet he misses you tonight as much as you miss him. Roll on tomorrow when he can come home.

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
So happy to hear it was a success! He'll want big kisses and hugs tomorrow for sure!

Happy for you both! Hugs :-*

Kelly and piggies xx

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes me, mum and dad are missing him soooooo much! I hope he has had a good night, vets said to ring 11am he can prob come home lunch but I'm at work til 4 or 5 :( my dad might get him but otherwise will see if vets will keep him til 5 and il go with dad to collect him - much easier if 2 of us to lift him as he's 26kg :o

Be good to get Mr Jed home ;D

Then the fun of keeping him still starts (a fun few weeks ahead - alison the zombie at work!)

michellemuffin

Reaction score
so pleased op went well and he should be home today now you will have some fun lol how old is he?
I have 2 elderly dogs brothers max and charlie max has often been limping but i gave him some vitamins for dogs joints and he is fine now thank goodness he hates taking them but has them in a slice of toast every morning along with his vetzyme him and Charlie have had since puppys, then I take my vits and tablets hee hee got to do the dogs first

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ive been able to collect Jed from the vets tonight, hes had a big op to repair the cruciate ligament on his knee joint, poor chap is on 3 legs and his bad leg is in plaster, all his beautiful fur is shaved off he does look a sad chap. But very pleased to be home, hes zonked at the mo - very spaced out on painkillers. So glad he's home ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.