dog walking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a job and thought about dog walking in surrey. i think I'm great with pets and used to dogs as ive had a staff/pitbull before if anyone thinks this is a good idea then let me know :)

nutmeg

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Dog walking sounds fun. There will be all sorts of stuff to consider like insurance, vaccinations, house security etc. etc. but I'm sure there are people on here that could provide a comprehensive list of things you need to do.
I thought pit bulls/type were illegal? xx

susanc

New Born Pup
Reaction score
If you are a pet lover and have some experience this can be fun. Just be sure you get insurance coverage before you start!

SophRuss5

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You really have to be thinking of how much money you want to make, if its just a bit of pocket money then you barely make much after insurance, advertising and the cost in petrol of driving to and from dogs. Plus if you are taking them to a park, as in not just walking round the block, you need to have a suitable crate or harness in the car. This all adds up. If you want to make a serious business out of it, to be making any sort of money you need to be ale to charge £10 per hour and then would need to get around 6/7 dogs a day. Ideally in the same area to save on cost of petrol.
You DO need insurance as you will be a business and register as self employed! So it does all add up. Plus there will be plenty of dog walkers in your area already so you will be fighting for their business!
Have a look around, there are plenty of dog walking business models, think about the money you need to make and see if it is worth it when you take off the cost of insurance and petrol etc!

JayceeStar

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The best option is to find someone who you know who needs their dogs walking. I've walked lots of friends/families dogs and haven't needed insurance for that. I currently walk 2 whippets and a patterdale terrier 3-4x a week for my friend, and am earning around £200 a month for it. But as others have said, you do have to take petrol etc into account, the dogs I walk are 7 miles away, and I'm lucky enough that they live in a rural area with loads of fields so I don't have to drive the dogs anywhere.
It's a lovely thing to do but you do have to consider a lot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.