Dogs, tumours and piriton?

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
Sadly my sister’s beautiful 9 year old dog (and mine really!) Princess is having an op tomorrow to remove a tumour on her shoulder/back that the vet thinks is cancerous. It was quite a shock as she has a good few fatty lumps now so my sister expected one of those, then got a call telling her it looks like an aggressive form of cancer! :(
She was told a few hours ago to give her Piriton tonight and in the morning, as normally when they remove tumours from dogs they give them an injection of it beforehand, but they’ve ran out so don’t want to postpone the op in case it’s not there in time tomorrow.
I’m just wondering if anyone else has ever used this with their canine babies before? Not sure how it helps tumour removal ops?! My sister doesn’t ask as many questions as me and I’m worried sick atm (about the op, not the piriton!), just like to be informed on these things! Thanks.

Here’s our girl anyway :love:
E161A0AB-F81E-4BBC-8B25-28B42C7F26DA.jpeg94F96EA0-3E0F-4D2C-AF3B-579FAF12B9E3.jpeg
Please send some positive vibes our way tomorrow!

tabelmabel

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
My dog has had piraton after a wasp sting. It is definitely safe for dogs, if that's any help.

I also know it can be given for its sedative effects if dogs fear vet visits or nail clips - calms them down

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Poor doggy, hope the surgery goes well! The active ingredient of piriton is chlorphenamine which is safe for doggies and a recommended canine antihistamine and mild sedative though I dont know how it will help tumour surgery... but I see that @VickiA posted an interesting link there while I was typing so I will definitely be giving that a read!

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
Wow, I found this online. It’s fascinating reading

Benadryl For Dogs With Mast Cell Tumors: How It Can Help

Sending Princess (and you and your sister) big hugs and healing vibes xx
Thanks so much Vicki, I started googling stuff and so much crap came up i got a bit overloaded between the tears! :doh: A year next month since I lost my Rosie to the cancer so a bit of an emotional day worrying I think! 🙈 Thank you xx

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Many healing woofs, but it sounds like the vet is really well informed, that article sounds very pharmacologically correct and also quite new thinking (but very safe) so sounds like doggy is in very good hands there!
And yes piriton can be used to treat allergies, inflammation, and wasp stings very effectively too- the article suggests that a specific type of tumour made of cells that release histamine and cause inflammation can be helped by piriton, which makes sense x

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
Many healing woofs, but it sounds like the vet is really well informed, that article sounds very pharmacologically correct and also quite new thinking (but very safe) so sounds like doggy is in very good hands there!
And yes piriton can be used to treat allergies, inflammation, and wasp stings very effectively too- the article suggests that a specific type of tumour made of cells that release histamine and cause inflammation can be helped by piriton, which makes sense x
Thank you. Yes that article is really interesting, understand more now my dozy brain has processed it a bit!
Yes the vet sounds really good, my sister is seeing her for the first time at a different vets to my local one, definitely sounds better than mine with lots of phone calls and keeping her up to date since Friday when we found out! But she hasn’t been allowed in with her in the practise which is a bit of a downside! x

Lavinia

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
Oh gosh. Lots of love to you and your sister and of course the gorgeous Princess. Hope all goes well. Hugs all round. Xx

Bill & Ted

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I’ll be thinking of you all and sending healing vibes for Princess, hope everything goes well for her x

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
Princess is home bless her. Tumour and two teeth also removed the poor girl, she seems in good spirits although quite dozy.
Very large scar which has started bleeding when she came back and got a bit excited, lots had to be chopped off but hopefully all removed. She’s staying on the piriton and has loxicom. Back to vets on Friday.
Bit of a monster to look at and sis and the kids quite upset :( But it’s off and she’s ok which is the main thing!
B5DBB070-C611-40AB-8D8D-A37F9624330D.jpeg
Poor girl, she’s amazing ❤️