Doing my bit for the economy...

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Been after a new sewing machine for a while now and have been saving. We renewed the mortgage this month and, as always happens, by the time they sort it out you owe less on the original so end up getting some cashback. Hubby nicely said we should buy my new sewing machine with my savings and the rest from this money he is getting back! Looked on Amazon and a local independent store sells the one I want for the same price however the starter kit with all the bits and bobs like scissors was £15 cheaper on Amazon. I wanted to check the machine would last me long term for what I want to do so had emailed some queries, they were super helpful so I asked if they could reduce the price to match amazon. They were honest and said that's pretty much what they paid wholesale for the kit but offered me 15% off as long as I ordered it at the same time as the sewing machine. It wasn't quite as cheap as Amazon but I feel great to have supported a local business and hopefully they continue to trade so I can carry on getting support and get all my fabric etc from them.

The machines on back order so won't arrive til end of August which gives me time to try and get the crochet baby mobile finished and maybe even her knitted blanket 🤞

Posyrose

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Enjoy your new sewing machine when it arrives. My dad bought me a sewing machine for a graduation present and I don't use it often, but do curtains and that kind of thing. I wanted to make some face masks but I always have this thought that I won't remember how to thread it. It's more complicated than riding a bicycle! It took me half an hour to work it out (my bobbin and casing fell out too) but I managed it and am slowly going through the 12 masks I have material for.

Please let us have a photo of the mobile and blanket when they're finished!

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I bought my new sewing machine locally too. My old 1970’s one was playing up and I took it to them for a service. Some of the clogs were made of nylon and the machine was so old they no longer could get parts for it, but they managed to get it working quite well and didn’t charge me a penny. I mentioned I would be back to buy one from them as they had been fantastic. It’s a great shop and they have a click and collect service which saves on postage too.
I always try and buy local as you have that back up when things go wrong, the internet can’t match that

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
@Swissgreys I've gone for a Brother Innovis F420, it's the one we learnt on during the beginner's course so I know I am comfortable with it at least.

@Posyrose sewing machines now are all sorts of magic and computerised! I had one that I have given to my mum that was quite old (it was my mum's and she had two but one broke and I wanted this new one so gifted the other back to her). It has an automatic needle threader and thread cutter all built in, when they showed me in the class I was far too amazed at this witchcraft :))

@Bill & Ted one of my concerns with the lockdown is slipping into a bad habit of shopping for everything online. I have found websites I have never used before to get my usual products often at cheaper prices. Doesn't sound bad but then I worry about what happens when we want to go somewhere and see something in the flesh or when I need advice on the right product for me, we will have lost all the shops.

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
@Swissgreys I've gone for a Brother Innovis F420, it's the one we learnt on during the beginner's course so I know I am comfortable with it at least.

@Posyrose sewing machines now are all sorts of magic and computerised! I had one that I have given to my mum that was quite old (it was my mum's and she had two but one broke and I wanted this new one so gifted the other back to her). It has an automatic needle threader and thread cutter all built in, when they showed me in the class I was far too amazed at this witchcraft :))

@Bill & Ted one of my concerns with the lockdown is slipping into a bad habit of shopping for everything online. I have found websites I have never used before to get my usual products often at cheaper prices. Doesn't sound bad but then I worry about what happens when we want to go somewhere and see something in the flesh or when I need advice on the right product for me, we will have lost all the shops.
Yes, that’s the problem, when you wake up one day and there’s no shops, like some futuristic nightmare!