dominance or fight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
i know lots of people go on about this so I wont try and go on for too long but my two boars were seperated about four months ago due to blood, bullying and hormones. earlier last week i had put them together in the run and there was no aggressiveness except humping. i started putting them in regularley and now every so often they will chatter their teeth and have face offs but the all of a sudde be ok. this has happened every time for the past week. i know normally you should just put them together but because of history i am a bit unsure. i am certain they are past the hormonal stage but sometimes they chase each other like they are going to hurt each other. should i put them back together or not?thanks for any suggestons:)

Last edited:

flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would put them back together and monitor for a day or so too make sure there is no aggresion between the 2. Teeth Chattering is a warning sound but they do need to sort dominance out.

Read the Boar Sticky thread that will give you an idea. Whats normal and whats not!

Good Luck! x

Reaction score
Yes, I would try putting them together, but choose a time when you/other family member will be around to keep an eye on them.....maybe Monday morning is not the best time to start rolleyes Perhaps you should do it next weekend :))

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have two boars who are both in that hormonal teen years! Their is a lot of humping, face off's teeth chattering and they can chase each other for ages....i'd suggest putting them together again make sure their is lots of hidey holes in the hutch/cage and two of everything, and lots of hay to keep them occupied. :) Good luck and i hope everything goes well :))

Reaction score
My 2 boys (who are 8 & 9 weeks old) did this on Thursday when they went in to a new bigger outside hutch.
They actually drew blood from each other but they were put back in together straight away after being cleaned up and have been fine ever since (even though I'm constantly checking on them just in case).
Although my brother had to permenantly seperate his 11 month old boars a few weeks ago because they wouldn't leave it and kept on fighting.

Reaction score
Help!

Hi all, I'm new to all this so please bear with me! I have two males they are 14 wks old and one of them Dash has started dominating the other Woody and has bitten him and drawn blood. So have separated them for fear that Woody will be injured severely, also they both came from the same pet shop, and the same litter, But has got to the stage where Woody isn't putting on weight and Dash looks twice the size! Would like some advice please on do I keep them separated forever? or is it an age thing? Btw they are inside atm :( Help!

flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there,

Perhaps start a new thread as you will get more replies there. Firstly if one is not gaining weight there is something wrong. Your other pig may very well bullying the little one as blood has been drawn and they are just hitting the hormones I would not put them back together.

Once the hormones have settled there is a chance they could become friends again, but I believe you will need to take it slow.

At the moment I think the best thing for both pigs is side by side living.

Sadly even though they are from the same pet shop and litter there is no guarantee to them staying friends.

Please infuture if you decide to expand, adopt from a rescue. They will help you pick friends for your boys if re-introductions fail and if you decide you would like them to have friends. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.