• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Dominance

Nana1

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello
I have 2 boars who are now approx 10 months old. I brought them as a bonded pair at 5 months in December 17. They are housed in a 6ft by 4 ft set up with two of everything set at either end ie water bottles, feeding bowls, hidey boxes full of hay with 2 entances. one has always been more dominant chasing the other around, rumble strutting and humping but I have left them to sort out their hierarchy as they both would retreat to the same bedding area together inbetween these dominance periods. Over the last week the less dominant guinea has become withdrawn and staying in one side of the cage unless the other pushes him out. I have noticed he has a couple of tiny scabs on his rump and he appears very depressed. He has been eating when i hold veg etc out to him and he will venture out to his food bowl at his end of the cage. I made the descion yesterday to separate the cage down the middle to see if he brightens up without the constant bullying. I know guineas are meant to stay as a pair but he was becoming so depressed and unhappy looking. Can someone advise me if I have done the right thing. I'm really not sure! Thank you in advance

This sounds very similar to when I first had my boys. I had an older, very laid back lad and got him a baby friend, whom he adored. But as baby hit teenagehood he turned into a nightmare and terrorised my poor old one. Wouldn’t let him eat or sleep and would constantly chase him around. Poor old Casper looked so miserable. So I separated them too and Casper was so much happier afterwards. They could still see each other and talk to each other but Bailey couldn’t continue his rein of terror. I did try rebonding them once Bailey had grown up a little but unfortunately Bailey never did want to share his home with Casper, so they lived happy lives as neighbours instead.

I think you have done the right thing in this case. It sounds like hormonal phase is kicking in this is when boar relationships can break down unfortuantely

Here a couple of threads for you to have a read of Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next? and Bonds In Trouble they contain lots of helpful expert advice collected over the years
Thank you for your reply. I have read the threads you quoted (which are really helpful) and it definitely seems to me that the male hormones have kicked in. I have been watching them today since seperation and Fudge the withdrawn guinea appears much brighter without the stress of Truffle constantly bullying him. Truffle is peaved he can not get to him and is making several attempts to get across (which he can not do) by scratching at the bedding by the divider. I feel so guilty splitting them up but fear Fudge would have eventually died from the constant stress. It really upsets me to see them on there own but felt there was no alternative. Thank you once again for reassuring me it was probably the right thing to do.

This sounds very similar to when I first had my boys. I had an older, very laid back lad and got him a baby friend, whom he adored. But as baby hit teenagehood he turned into a nightmare and terrorised my poor old one. Wouldn’t let him eat or sleep and would constantly chase him around. Poor old Casper looked so miserable. So I separated them too and Casper was so much happier afterwards. They could still see each other and talk to each other but Bailey couldn’t continue his rein of terror. I did try rebonding them once Bailey had grown up a little but unfortunately Bailey never did want to share his home with Casper, so they lived happy lives as neighbours instead.

Thank you so much for your reply. I have been watching Fudge closely today and he appears more relaxed without the constant worry of Truffle on his back. Truffle however is not very happy!. I hate that I have had to separate them but do feel Fudge is already happier. It certainly sounds like a similar situation to yours and I appreciate your reply and reasurrance as I have been feeling so guilty about splitting them up.

Thank you so much for your reply. I have been watching Fudge closely today and he appears more relaxed without the constant worry of Truffle on his back. Truffle however is not very happy!. I hate that I have had to separate them but do feel Fudge is already happier. It certainly sounds like a similar situation to yours and I appreciate your reply and reasurrance as I have been feeling so guilty about splitting them up.

Glad I could help. Piggie politics is always a stressful thing! Try not to worry too much, my Bailey was the same when they were first separated. As though he was angry because he couldn’t pick on Casper any more. He soon settled down when he released he couldn’t get to him. Keep us updated on how everything goes. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Back