• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

don't like nuggets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
At the moment my guinea pigs are on a mixed food which I know is not great because they are selective feeding and with this particular food,they don't eat an awful lot of it.
I have only got this food and have realised they don't like it so I will get them burgess tomorrow.

I normally get burgess mixed food which they do like,but again they pick out there favourite bits - when I tried them on nuggets they didn\t seem to be mad on them either,but I would like to try them on the nuggets again!

Anyway long story short my question is will they get over they'r fussyness and eat the nuggets if they are hungry,or will I just keep them on the mixed burgess!

Thanks - sorry for the long post!

Mine were on Wagg Crunch (mixed) but easily transferred to Wagg Optimum pellets (now called Harrington's apparently in Asda!)

If it's a mix use Wagg as it has low calcium & no colourings. Personally I don't see the problem with them picking out their favourite bits; mine eat it all anyway as I only give a small amount at a time, not a whole bowlful as I prefer them to eat lots of hay really. I can honestly say I have never had to throw away either of the Wagg ones. I now mix them both together & vary it a bit so that they don't come to rely on just the one food rolleyes

I might buy a small bag of each and try nuggets first and then just mix them and see.

I can never find wagg guinea pig food here just wagg dog food,I'm sure it could be ordered for me!but I do like the burgess food,i think it a good quality!

I like to buy my food in bulk so Normally id buy a 15 - 20 kg bag a month,it works out way cheaper for me!

one of my boars like to dig in his food bowl to find the best bits!:{

Thanks again

when I got my two boys in December they were eating museli (I rehomed them from a work colleague and TBH I don't think they'd been looked after as well as they could be, they had overgrown claws - never been trimmed in 3 years - and only ever had apple as an occasional treat) and wanted to switch them to nuggets.

I tried them on Burgess Excel Nuggets which they refused, I also tried the blackcurrant and oregano version, again no joy, they just wanted their museli back but I wasnt giving in!

It took about 2 1/2 weeks for them to realise it was nuggets or nothing and now they love the blackcurrant ones.

try a few differrent types but stick with it, you'll get there.

Aw the poor guys!at least they are in good hands now :)

Thanks!

I did try the oregano nuggets before and the lasted a week!
I will just do what * did then,that's what I was thinking of doing but didn't know if they would give in!and did't want to be starving them!

I want them to have the best diet possible!

Thanks for the advice x

I use a mix of different pellet brands with a small sprinkling of muesli for my picky selectors. That keeps everypig happy and from getting bored, and I don't get caught out again by a particular brand not being in stock. But that is a lot easier with a bigger group!

Quite a few member serve a mix of pellets and of muesli; Wagg is probably the best muesli mix. It is also the best way to shift piggies over onto a more pellet based diet by slowly reducing the amount of muesli. Always introduce a new variety slowly by mixing it into their current dry food.

PS: Please start to gradually reduce the unlimited amount of pellets you are currently feeding once the growth rate is slowing down between 6-9 months old until you are down to the handful or half handful of pellets per piggy per day that mature adults need from 12-15 months onwards.

When I took my 2 boys I started feeding them Wagg museli as its what I always fed Rodders and he loved it.

These 2 also love it, but were only eating the bits they liked so was worried they werent getting the right balance. I switched them over to the Excel nuggets with mint, and it took them a few days to get used to it.

I am thinking of changing again to the blackcurrant and oregano with a mix of the wagg, as these ones they are on now are really big the boys are only eating half a nugget at a time mallethead Instead of finishing off the half nugget they go and get another one from the bowl lol!

TBH, they dont need much in way of nuggets anyway. As long as they have unlimited hay and suitable vegetables, then they will be ok. Nuggets shouldnt make up the majority of their diet, it should be fed as a supplement.

HTH
Sue

I originally had my girls on a Muesli and tried to transfer gradually to Nuggets. They selectively fed the Muesli still and didn't touch the nuggets.

In the end I only provided Nuggets and had a battle of wills for 3 or 4 days where they didn't eat them at all. After the 4th day they gave in and now they love them!

Of course they still had unlimited hay and veggies twice a day so I knew they wouldn't starve...

I don't know if this method is agreed with by more experienced members but it worked for me.

I know it is a nuisance but if you say put 20 nuggets in the bowl you may find they are eating some. I did this with my piggie who is so picky, he is on burgess and to be honest I wouldnt change.

Thanks for all the replies!

My piggies get unlimited hay and plenty of fresh veg everyday,I have noticed that because they were not eating alot of the mixed food that they were still hungry

Anyway good news is that they have made a complete liar out of me...when i gave them some nuggets today..they ate them with no problem :)

And they are the exact same nuggets as they had before mallethead

Thanks for all the replies!

My piggies get unlimited hay and plenty of fresh veg everyday,I have noticed that because they were not eating alot of the mixed food that they were still hungry

Anyway good news is that they have made a complete liar out of me...when i gave them some nuggets today..they ate them with no problem :)

And they are the exact same nuggets as they had before mallethead

LOL! rolleyes

hahaha! Mine do that :(|) Turn their noses up at something one day, then scoff it the following day.

I got some Excel Blackcurrant & Oregano today, and they love it so think this will be the nugget of choice from now on! -c

email burgess and tell them you would like to try their B and O nuggets for piggies, and have they any samples? I did this and they sent me £2 off x 2. Then Just for Pets, near Argos in Northampton have got Burgess for piggies at £4. odd so that is only £2 a bag......drool

I've tried the blackcurrant ones before and they kind of went off them,but I would be no harm to try them with it again - they really love the nuggets!To think I was so stressed that they weren't going to eat them!:)

I'm in Ireland,so I wonder would the still have the vouchers,Il give it a go.That's so cheap for a bag - I get a 2kg bag for 6.50 and the 3kg for 7.90,I like to get the 15 to 20kg bags because it always works out at better value!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back