Dwarf Hamster health advice if possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am a bit worried about my dwarf hamster. It's hard to see properly because he moves so much but I am sure he is losing a bit of his fur on his underside at the neck area. I want to make an appt with the vet but Jim couldn't get his car out to go to work today so not sure we could get there. Charlie seems ok apart from that but that might not mean anything.

I'm hoping that someone can give me some advice.

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
He scratches but not sure if it's more than what is normal. I have made a 4.30 appt with the vet, Jim is currently trying to dig his car out so all going well we will get there.

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Hope he's ok. How old is he? my Tofutti Cutie has a bald bit on his back leg but he is getting on a bit now.

zombieprincess

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I agree it could be age, hamsters especially dwarves to thin with age, overgrooming also seems to be a mojor issue with hamsters too ... i had a dwarf hamster and she was a chronic over groomer and had bald front legs it was like ocd. If it's somthing like that they are really no worse for wear but deffinately take him to the vets to rule out mites or cushings first.

Hope the little guys ok!

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As far as we know he is about 10 months old and I believe they can live 18 - 24 months? He has lump on the middle of his belly but not sure if it's supposed to be there. I don't think I have noticed it before and we have had him 3 months. I just hope we can make it to the vet. We can drive the car out now but the vet might be hard to get to with some of the back roads being the way they are.

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I think the lump is his scent gland.

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I don't think they are always that prominent either. We noticed our Pip's one the other week as his was infected but don't always notice it on the others.

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I certainly don't think it used to be so prominent. If there is something wrong with it hopefully the vet will tell us, if we get there.

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just back from the vets. What we thought was a loss of fur he thinks it's overfilling of the pouches. There is the possibility of the start of a scent gland tumour. We have a weeks supply of antibiotics and have an appointment for a weeks time. If we notice it getting bigger we have to go back sooner. He will also check the pouch area.

Charlie got a hold of the vets finger and wouldn't let go. Ouch :))

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It was Glenn we saw. He's really good as you know. It might just be an infection but taking it away if it is a tumour will only be done as a last resort. I think Glenn got bitten twice lol. Charlie is active enough and doing everything he should be. His coat is fine. He weighs 54g

flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It was Glenn we saw. He's really good as you know. It might just be an infection but taking it away if it is a tumour will only be done as a last resort. I think Glenn got bitten twice lol. Charlie is active enough and doing everything he should be. His coat is fine. He weighs 54g

Poor Glenn :)), Adleast Charlie is still on good form!

Status
Not open for further replies.