• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

dying hammies and a new sick hammy

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kaoskat

discovered the mystery of the dying hammies. I lost Rorani before a week as well and Creamy died the same day he did, both with no symptoms other than not wanting to wake up the night before they died. However both had very yucky bums when they were found dead that they did not have the night before. Just like Kai and Shiori. I thought it was the cages because the same thing happened to the old hammies in those cages and I threw them out and after Rorani and Creamy died too I threw out everything because I thought it was contaminated. I sad no more hammies! But I love hammies and I wanted one so much and though just maybe if I got a new cage things would be ok. So Saturday I went back to the pet store and got brand new cages and 2 new hammies (one for my nephew who has turned out to be pregnant so we are waiting for babies). Last night Hamtaro did not want to get out of bed and I just started crying because I didn't know what to do and just knew he was going to be gone this morning. Well he's still here and had a yucky bum. Come to find out, the poor guy has the highly contagious wet tail! He's on Baytril and will hopefully get well. It turns out it isn't me and I'm not cursed. I got all the hammies from the same store (and apparently transfered it to Kai on accident). It's likely what was wrong with my old hammies too as I started with one and added a second and kept adding a new on before the other died (in the same weird nearly symptomless way) and it likely kept jumping from hammy to hammy. I do quarantine but I tend to jump from hammy to hammy when I'mm holding them and while I do wash my hands, it never occured to me to wash my face or neck or change my shirt so it's probably been transfering that way as my hammies tend to sit on my neck and shoulders even more than my hands. I suppose it has sorta been me but it's not JUST me. They are actually ill. I feel better and worse at the same time. Better because now I know what's going on and worse because I don't want to lose Hamtaro (or Ashley, her future kids, and Jesse, if they get sick. I think Jesse is safe. I haven't held him since the new hammies and now that I know the problem, I can be careful. Ashley though, was from the same store in the same cage as Hamtaro and since she's pregnant I don't know if she can be treated. I looked up info on Baytril before I would give it to Hamtaro like I always do in case the vet is wrong, I know piggies and rats can take it but wasn't sure about hammies, and it says pregnant or nursing mom's can't have it). I'm going to do some research on wet tail too and see what I need to do to keep Jesse and Ashley safe and if there are any earlier signs that I've been missing. Please say a prayer for little Hamtaro apparently the outlook for survival is not great. He's still active, alert and strong so hopefully he'll pull through.

-kkat

Here are pics of the new pair:
Hamtaro:
Hamtaroavatar.jpg

Ashley (with pups in tummy):
Ashleyavatar.jpg

I am so sorry that you have lost your hammies to wet tail, I've heard it is a nasty disease for them to get :'( I really hope that Hamtaro is okay and that he is soon fighting fit again. Fingers and paws crossed this way that Ashley stays okay and good luck to her with her babies :)

Rosie died of Wet tail however when I rescued her she was dying from it and the school weren't taking action, she had no food, water etc in her small cage and she was as thin as could be and crying in pain. She got better and it was nearly gone but then it came back and she died.. When she did.. she had a huge mess on her bottom which she never had before and it almost looked like something exploded! It was Wet tail and obviously she had it bad but it's so sad :'(

Your new hammies are so cute Kat!

Thanks everyone. Hamtaro is still alive this morning and still strong and still hates his meds. He's a bit angry with me right now because I just gave them to him. He's running around the cage like a lightening bolt wiping his face on the bedding. Now he's actually in his wheel. I wish he'd eat and drink though. I gave him a bit of appe this mlorning to try to encourage him to eat and keep him hydrated but so far it's not working. No babie yet on Ashley's side at least I don't think there are. She has that nest so high and covered I can't see in it. I'm going to have to wait until she comes out and then watch the nest for movement but I don't think they are there yet.

-kkat

Afternoon update: He's having a bit more trouble breathing than he was having but he did get up and eat a bit this morning. Today he actually seems like a very sick little guy, before he was just a bit "off". Hopefully he will get better over the next couple of days. He still seems strong, just sick. I'm really hoping he can pull through. Unfortunantly we are in the middle of one of the coldest cold fronts so far this year. I know it probably would be a joke to most of you, but Hamtaro is a Florida hammy too so he is cold. All my hamsters are buried in huge nests and most of the piggies didn't care to leave their pigloos this morning. It's a controlled temp in here of course but it's still chilly. I'm hoping it won't affect Hamtaro too much. I feel for Ashley and her poor litter that will have to be born in the winter. I gave her lots of warm bedding though so they will hopefully be warm enough. I get nervous everytime I check on Hamtaro, afraid of what I'll see, but so far he's hanging in there.

-kkat

Tonight: He woke up and went down to get something to eat. He's still alert. After eating he went back up to his "den" and bathed himself and went back to sleep. Right now he is up and running in his wheel. Here are a few pics of him from yesterday. He's sick, but he's still cute.
Hamtarocutie4.jpg

Hamtarocutie3.jpg

Hamtarocutie2.jpg

Hamtarocutie.jpg

]

He was up in his wheel running all night last night like he's supposed to instead of sleeping all day and all night like he had been. His breathing seems better this morning than yesterday too. It's looking like he's going to make it. I'm so happy. I have been praying for him constantly and checking on him every 5 minutes for the last couple of days. I've been really scared I was going to lose him but he's really looking better. He's so special.

-kkat

Hamtaro update!: Hamtaro seems to be doing alot better the last couple of days. He's active and eating and drinking. This morning his poos were solid and I checked tonight and his bum is no longer icky. I really think he's going to be ok. I know they can turn around again and go back down hill quickly, but I'm very hopeful. He's still making a bit of noise when he's breathing that I'm not comfortable with and I'm starting to worry some of his meds may have gotten in his lungs or that he has another infection forming. I suppose I'll get the answer soon enough.

-kkat

Hamtarowheel.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back