• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Early birthday present!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Posiesparkles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One very excited piggie mum branching out! I have wanted a hamster for a while, other half has put his foot down previously but relented over weekend as my birthday is coming up, so there is now a new addition to our family!

We bought a male syrian hamster today from our independent pet shop who are very knowledgeable. Did look for a rescue pet but couldn't find one. He is very cute (photos to follow) and is in luxury accomodation. I have been researching for a while and cannot believe like piggies, how small some hamster cages are. Cannot believe how quickly he has settled in, he is already coming to say hi and being hand fed through cage. His name is Puck, (going on a shakespearian theme like a friend of ours did) and he is a honey and white colour! So cute! If anyone else has hamsters and can give us any tips they will be gratefully received, like my piggies I think I may become obsessed with making sure he is absolutely everything his little heart could desire!

xx

Ahh congrats on your new hammy. I have 6 and love them to bits.

He might take a few days to settle in and have to be careful of wet tail but he seems really happy already :) I feed mine dried meal worms which they love. Cant wait to see the pics.

If you need to know any thing then let me know :) xx

Awwww congratulations on your new hamster, he sound a sweetie! I got Thimble for my 21st last week and he's one cheeky chap! :)) cant wait for pictures :)

Oooh congratulations, looking forward to pics. It frustrates me the size of the cages too, what did you get in the end? We have 10 hamsters - 3 syrians and 7 dwarfs.

Congratulations!

Just the same as piggies, they need daily fresh water and unlimited dry food every day, as well as a weekly cage clean, and some fresh bedding. Though you should not feed fresh veg/fruit every day, this should be limited to around once a week. Otherwise they can get wet tail.

They also need an exercise wheel, which I'm sure you already have, and appreciate tunnels, places to hide etc. You can train them to poop in a litter pot/toilet. I always got a ball for mine as well, and they love going out in this a few days a week, if not every day.

Hamsters also like meat, mine used to enjoy a bit of roast chicken. Though make sure it isn't flavoured with garlic or onion.

Enjoy him! I kept hamsters for years, but not allowed any more as my last one was a s%d, who used to keep us awake chewing everything he could and banging on bars etc :))

He is already very much at home, despite having been with us less than 24 hours! He will take food from our fingers although I think would run away if I tried to pick him up. He is loving his house (he has an imac fantasy with extensions on order!) and keeps zooming about. He does have a wheel but needs a bigger one according to what i have read so that is on order too (already he will be as spoilt as his piggie sisters!). He has lots of toys to play on and in and did so lots last night (don;t think OH realised how noisy he might be in the night as he is in our room!) and this morning has eaten and drunk before going to sleep in his nest. We are going to try and get him out tonight so will try and get hamster pics! He really is the cutest thing. Funny how piggies take a while to settle whilst he is happy almost straight away. Keeping an eye out for wet tail but all seems good atm! x

i only got 1 hampster now but i did have 6 at once and i quikly found that they love wheels and the running ball things you put them in lol

Aw congrats on your newest furry baby :) Tomorrow I'm risking a row by going to get a chinese hamster who's been in the P@H adoption for a month. My boyfriend will kill me but hammies are too sweet not to have millions of them! :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back