• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eating Newspaper? And Is This Hay Safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anniedabannie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Poldark and Sage currently get woodlands herby harvest hay in unlimited supply but last night they were off veg after having watery poop, and they finished their hay before I topped it up in the morning.
WP_20150613_001.jpg

There's this dusty residue in their hay rack and I checked the packet and it didn't say dust-extracted, so should I change their hay? They've been sneezing quite often and I'm a bit worried they might be getting respiratory problems.

Also, I use newspaper as the absorbent layer underneath their fleece, and Poldark chews and swallows quite a lot of it! Is that ok for him to do or should I change to something less tasty? xD

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
From what you describe I think a vets visit is in order as clearly something is brewing (and its not their hay)......sloppy poops, off veg and chewing newspaper are all signs that there may be gut motility problems developing either in response to too much fresh veg/grass or an underlying infection (hence sneezing?)

I wouldn't worry about your hay or giving them newspaper at the moment - that is what they need in addition to a trip to the vets for possibly gut motility meds and antibiotics if deemed necessary.

I'll ask for this to be moved to the Health and Illness Board.

anniedabannie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They seem absolutely fine otherwise! I deliberately didn't give them any fresh yesterday after they had a lot of soft poos and not many hard ones. They've been popcorning around all morning and are still doing hard poos too.

LizGuineaGurl

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would see the vet about the poos, but my guinea pigs have been eating newspaper for years and are all fine x has been suggested they do it for fun or too even show off!

Critter

Reaction score
The newspaper shouldn't harm them. I have read that they use soya ink for the printing and should be fine. However as mentioned it could be an indicator of digestive problems, as can eating cardboard.
I don't know what others think but I feel too many herbs are not always a good thing.
I have a lovely all natural herb mix full of good-looking stuff, and I supplement their diet with it by mixing it in with their dry food BUT if I put in more than a little bit one of my pigs gets soft poops.
The safest hay is simple meadow hay, and/or Timothy hay. Meadow hay often has Timothy in the mix.

LizGuineaGurl

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Meadow hay is really good, we sometimes get all Timothy Hay to feed them for a treat.
Didn't know about cardboard and herbs though, so thank you!

JackJack1

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
In my experience, newspaper has never harmed any of my guinea pigs and most have lived to a very ripe old age. It is made up of wood pulp and so is just roughage.
If you go to Pets at Home there are all sorts of tunnels made up of cardboard which are designed for guinea pigs, so paper will not be a problem for them. However, wet poos and sneezing may be the start of something, so I would suggest you take them off to the vet if they continue, for a check up.

Status
Not open for further replies.