• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ebony at the vet. But she is ok thank goodness.

tabelmabel

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Had to take her for peace of mind. After losing 2 pigs last year, i can't risk losing Belle's new companion.

So little Ebony had some kind of clicking sound when she was breathing yesterday evening. We just noticed it as Line of Duty was starting on tv.

By the time it finished an hour later, she seemed ok again. And she was lively, eating etc but i thought id take her to the vet today in normal hours in case it comes on again out of hours.

I kind of thought she was ok but you know how these little things can soon turn very serious sometimes. Best to be on the safe side.

I packed up ebony and belle in a little carrier together as they have been getting on great. Set off in the car. Only got round the corner and belle is up to her tricks, running ebony round in tight circles in the carrier. Ebony squeaking.

Drove back home, got my other carrier and split them. Then ebony is squeaking for belle! Honestly, what a distraction full journey!

Anyway, long and short of it is, chest clear, heart good. Vet very impressed with her amazingly glossy black coat. Generally good condition.

Slight runny nostril with a bit of hay up it!

He asked about her bedding and i have had sawdust on the upper storey as out of megazorb just now. So she might have an allergy to that. He recommended bed excel - is that any good does anyone know?

To be on the safe side i have ordered some carefresh as that is one i know. But it is so pricey, id be keen to hear other cheaper alternatives.

And straightaway, i have removed the sawdust and put fleece upstairs (always has been fleece downstairs)

Vet also said to place ebony in a steamy bathroom just to keep her airways open i think as if this is an allergy then she could be more susceptible to getting a uri as her immunity might be a bit lower if it's dealing with an allergy (i think that was the gist of it but i might have got that bit wrong)

Main thing is she is fine and i dont need to spend the whole day with my ear at the cage!

Glad that Ebony is OK and that it was just a bit of hay stuck in her nose.

Not heard of that bedding but new products are coming onto the market all the time.

I can only assume it was this horse bedding he meant

Excel | Horse Bedding | Bed-Down Equine Bedding

Havent got a problem with it being a horse bedding. I just thought carefresh is one i know i can trust whilst ebony gets that bit older and stronger.

And then will be happy to seek out something cheaper. Maybe megazorb will be ok for her - my other pigs have been ok with it. But then my others have all been ok with sawdust too. I tend to mix and match a bit depending on whether I'm ordering online (megazorb) or in the shops (sawdust)

Back