• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

"employers", The Bane Of My Entire Existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer D

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So, I've been looking for work for the last two months. Alas, it's not all that uncommon for me as I work seasonal for forestry which keeps me happily employed from March to about October. I'm feeling a strong urge to rant about the uselessness of of whoever is in charge of hiring within the companies I've been applying to. It's not because I'm not having any success in being hired, that's not it at all. My problem is professionalism. I want a job. I want to keep a job- I act professionally. I'm polite, I speak using proper sentences, I do the work that I'm asked to and I have excellent references. Anyways, I applied for a job about a month and a half ago. It was a driving job and I have 5 years of driving experience. I don't particularly want to return to the courier area, but my savings account has now run dry and like most people, I need work. The company phoned me back and left me a message on the machine with a name and a number to call. Since I didn't return home until late that night, I called them back the next morning. I introduced myself and gave the reason as to why I was calling. Then, silence. There must have been a ten second gap between either of us speaking. I'm not sure how other people see this but I literally said, "Hello, this is Jen ______ calling. I received your message that you left last night about the application that I made in regards to the ad you had posted on kijiji.ca and I'm just calling to find out more about the position." This is where the ten second interlude began. I'm pretty sure that should have been the conversation starter. Did they want me to brief them on how my day was going so far or something? Next, "Dan" proceeds to ask me what job I applied for. I replied that I had applied for the driving position (as it had been listed on the ad). He then proceeds to tell me that he's already hired someone for that position the previous week. I said okay and asked if there were any other positions available (why am I having to ask this? HE called ME back about the application?!). Cue another 10 seconds of silence. "Well, I have this warehouse thing open. But we've been having a lot of issues.", he says. I answered that I have a few years experience in a forestry warehouse and inquired as to what the "issues" were. "Just issues with workers.", is his reply. Again, about ten seconds of silence because, honestly, I was expecting a little more information. After the ridiculously long pause I asked if he had any time for me to come in for an interview (again, WHY AM I ASKING?) and he answers, "Well, hold on now. I don't want to be hiring anyone with all these issues we've been having." Honestly, I should have told him right then and there where to take his issues, but like I said, I need work. I asked if I could have the rest of the day to think about it (what I would be "thinking about" I'm not sure but I couldn't really see a way out of the situation politely) and we said goodbye and I hung up. Anyways, I decided I really needed the job, called back and left a message (he wasn't in) saying that I was interested in the job and gave a number that he could call me back at. He never called back. I'm sad to say that I thought, "Thank God for that." Judging from the phone call and the general attitude and coordination, I have a feeling that the issues were not having to do with the workers.
Now I just received an email back from someone that I sent a resume to in regards to an ad that they had for a campground attendant this summer. I had sent my resume with a cover letter and some questions about the position (about a paragraph) that were not answered by the little description they had in the ad. This is what I received back in reply. "Your resume looks fine. Not sure what kind of pay you would be expecting to receive." WHAT DO I EVEN WRITE BACK IN RESPONSE?! I'm thinking of something along the lines of, "I'm thrilled that you believe my resume "looks fine". Judging by the reply you've sent me, I see that you are a person of great intelligence. I should be honoured that you even considered my application. However, I want to work for free as you never listed a wage on the ad. I cannot in good conscience consider this position if you intend to provide me with a wage . Thank-you for your very valuable time." I'm sorry if anyone disagrees with me here but, if you are in charge of hiring employees for your company and you are not good about speaking on the phone, well you better "get good" at it or don't bother. If you're serious about hiring someone, don't start out by telling them that your company "has issues". When someone sends you an email about a job you've posted, answer their questions in a proper reply or don't expect to have anyone under your employment. Could you use full sentences please?! It makes you look like a lazy... you know what... and why should anyone want to be hired by you or your company. Can I get a HECK YEA?!

HECK YEAH! I hate it when people never bother to get back to you if they fill the position or if you don't get through to interview stage - I honestly think it shows a total lack of respect. It takes two minutes to write an email or leave a voicemail. Gaaaaah :(

I hope you find something soon - job hunting is never fun!

So, I've been looking for work for the last two months. Alas, it's not all that uncommon for me as I work seasonal for forestry which keeps me happily employed from March to about October. I'm feeling a strong urge to rant about the uselessness of of whoever is in charge of hiring within the companies I've been applying to. It's not because I'm not having any success in being hired, that's not it at all. My problem is professionalism. I want a job. I want to keep a job- I act professionally. I'm polite, I speak using proper sentences, I do the work that I'm asked to and I have excellent references. Anyways, I applied for a job about a month and a half ago. It was a driving job and I have 5 years of driving experience. I don't particularly want to return to the courier area, but my savings account has now run dry and like most people, I need work. The company phoned me back and left me a message on the machine with a name and a number to call. Since I didn't return home until late that night, I called them back the next morning. I introduced myself and gave the reason as to why I was calling. Then, silence. There must have been a ten second gap between either of us speaking. I'm not sure how other people see this but I literally said, "Hello, this is Jen ______ calling. I received your message that you left last night about the application that I made in regards to the ad you had posted on kijiji.ca and I'm just calling to find out more about the position." This is where the ten second interlude began. I'm pretty sure that should have been the conversation starter. Did they want me to brief them on how my day was going so far or something? Next, "Dan" proceeds to ask me what job I applied for. I replied that I had applied for the driving position (as it had been listed on the ad). He then proceeds to tell me that he's already hired someone for that position the previous week. I said okay and asked if there were any other positions available (why am I having to ask this? HE called ME back about the application?!). Cue another 10 seconds of silence. "Well, I have this warehouse thing open. But we've been having a lot of issues.", he says. I answered that I have a few years experience in a forestry warehouse and inquired as to what the "issues" were. "Just issues with workers.", is his reply. Again, about ten seconds of silence because, honestly, I was expecting a little more information. After the ridiculously long pause I asked if he had any time for me to come in for an interview (again, WHY AM I ASKING?) and he answers, "Well, hold on now. I don't want to be hiring anyone with all these issues we've been having." Honestly, I should have told him right then and there where to take his issues, but like I said, I need work. I asked if I could have the rest of the day to think about it (what I would be "thinking about" I'm not sure but I couldn't really see a way out of the situation politely) and we said goodbye and I hung up. Anyways, I decided I really needed the job, called back and left a message (he wasn't in) saying that I was interested in the job and gave a number that he could call me back at. He never called back. I'm sad to say that I thought, "Thank God for that." Judging from the phone call and the general attitude and coordination, I have a feeling that the issues were not having to do with the workers.
Now I just received an email back from someone that I sent a resume to in regards to an ad that they had for a campground attendant this summer. I had sent my resume with a cover letter and some questions about the position (about a paragraph) that were not answered by the little description they had in the ad. This is what I received back in reply. "Your resume looks fine. Not sure what kind of pay you would be expecting to receive." WHAT DO I EVEN WRITE BACK IN RESPONSE?! I'm thinking of something along the lines of, "I'm thrilled that you believe my resume "looks fine". Judging by the reply you've sent me, I see that you are a person of great intelligence. I should be honoured that you even considered my application. However, I want to work for free as you never listed a wage on the ad. I cannot in good conscience consider this position if you intend to provide me with a wage . Thank-you for your very valuable time." I'm sorry if anyone disagrees with me here but, if you are in charge of hiring employees for your company and you are not good about speaking on the phone, well you better "get good" at it or don't bother. If you're serious about hiring someone, don't start out by telling them that your company "has issues". When someone sends you an email about a job you've posted, answer their questions in a proper reply or don't expect to have anyone under your employment. Could you use full sentences please?! It makes you look like a lazy... you know what... and why should anyone want to be hired by you or your company. Can I get a HECK YEA?!
HECK YEA!
That is disgusting. I tend to judge companies based on how I receive emails (full sentences and at least a touch of grammar is always a good start). If someone has poor telephone skills then they shouldn't be answering the phone.
It's insane that incompetent, dim witted people can hold a job they're clearly not qualified for.
I wish you the best of luck with your job search!

I am seriously astounded. I was 18 years old when I was tasked with taking care of 12 teenagers 24 hours a day for an entire summer in my first "real" job. Then, when I turned 19, I was made the crew leader of 6 other people who were all either older or the same age as me. We worked with helicopters and heavy machinery. I had my first part time after school job when I was 13 working at a fast food joint at the mall. All of these "hiring" people must be quite young as things don't seem to be the way they used to be and companies are hiring students whose first jobs start at age 20!

The lack of proffessionalism in some places astounds me now adays! I find myself biting my tongue more and more these days! I understand your frustration!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back