Engel's Herd

weepweeps

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Popped Cyril to the vets today as some more suture material was poking out. He did really well. Hopefully that's the end of that now. Only 3 weeks to go before he can move in with his ladies.

Blossom gave birth during the night. Unfortunately the pup didn't survive and I don't know why. Blossom seems ok. She's eating, drinking and pop-corning. Will keep an eye on her though.

I’m so sorry the pup didn’t make it. 😕.

Great news about Cyril. Bet he can’t wait. 😍

Engel

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
What an awful week I've had. Autumn gave birth to a lethal baby boy. He only survived a few hours. 😔 Autumn has been a bit withdrawn so I tried to rebound her with Blossom and it's been successful. She still isn't 100% but she's getting there. To top it all off Mia has started squeaking while peeing again and there's blood. So she's on painkillers, antibiotics and cystease. Huff, maybe next week will be better.

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
So sorry about the pup. Hope Autumn rallies soon.
Poor Mia, hope she gets better soon too.
Next week will be better

Bill & Ted

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
So sorry you lost both little pups and Mia being poorly too what a week, sending hugs x

Engel

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh no, I’m so sorry to hear all of this.
Sending you huge hugs
So sorry about the pup. Hope Autumn rallies soon.
Poor Mia, hope she gets better soon too.
Next week will be better
So sorry you lost both little pups and Mia being poorly too what a week, sending hugs x
Thanks. I mentioned the death of the pups to a P@h employee that knows me better than the rest and they didn't bat an eye and said, "awww, we've got a pair of rabbits, a pair of pigs and a trio of rats that need a home".....no, just no. Still shocked.

I have 8 pigs, 2 dogs and 2 elderly rats; I thinks that's enough. However, if I had a small holding it'd be a different story.

weepweeps

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Oh I’m sorry. Poor baby pup. Glad Autumn seems ok and she’s back with Blossom. Hope Mia is ok soon. I hope next week is better for you all.

Engel

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Mia's on the mend :yahoo:
But autumn and Blossom are going through a really rough patch. Blossom keeps puffing herself up when Cyril is near so I don't know if that will work out. Thinking of trying blossom with basil and the girls if she doesn't take to Cyril.

Bill & Ted

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Mia's on the mend :yahoo:
But autumn and Blossom are going through a really rough patch. Blossom keeps puffing herself up when Cyril is near so I don't know if that will work out. Thinking of trying blossom with basil and the girls if she doesn't take to Cyril.
Fingers crossed it will, it also an option though. Glad Mia is doing well x

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I managed to bond Cyril, Blossom and Autumn and they're all very happy piggies! Cyril has been grooming both of the girls ears very gently and the girls aren't complaining. So glad it's gone well. I will keep an eye over the next few weeks but hopefully everything will be fine.
Fabulous news. Well done.

Engel

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thought I'd update here because it's been a while (again 😅) everyone is doing well. Cyril and the girls have settled well and can often be seen doing popcorn and zoomies together. Mia is taking her cystease without a fuss, probably because she knows she'll get a treat afterwards 😂. The cystease has made a massive difference, no squeaking and no blood in her urine, I'm really pleased.

The temperatures aren't great yet so they're indoors. During the day it's ok, in fact some days it's too hot in the shed! But at nights it's not hitting even 10°C in the hutch. I'm not sure if I'm going to put them out as it just doesn't seem fair to keep moving them outside and inside as it's too hot or cold so regularly.

Engel

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Do you ever just sit and watch your pigs, not interact, just watch? Just witnessed Eris giving Mia a wash like she did when she was a baby. Do you think they keep those caring maternal instincts even when their babies are all grown up? Even Basil gets a wash although not as thorough as Mia's. None of the other pigs do it, hence why I wonder if it's down to her being a mother.

Autumn has somehow gained 100g in the past 3 weeks while everyone else has stayed stable. Will weigh her next week and if it's increased again I think I'll get her checked. She seems ok in herself and is eating and running like a looney. She is roughly 8 months old so I know she's still growing and it's probably nothing but rather be on the safe side.

weepweeps

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Do you ever just sit and watch your pigs, not interact, just watch? Just witnessed Eris giving Mia a wash like she did when she was a baby. Do you think they keep those caring maternal instincts even when their babies are all grown up? Even Basil gets a wash although not as thorough as Mia's. None of the other pigs do it, hence why I wonder if it's down to her being a mother.

Autumn has somehow gained 100g in the past 3 weeks while everyone else has stayed stable. Will weigh her next week and if it's increased again I think I'll get her checked. She seems ok in herself and is eating and running like a looney. She is roughly 8 months old so I know she's still growing and it's probably nothing but rather be on the safe side.

Maternal instincts are very strong. 😍

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
When the piggies lived indoors, I used to love sitting in the dining and watching them as I did whatever it was I was doing. The boys loved to demand a scratch (I’m looking at you Toff!) then would continue on their way. I feel they did love to be in the thick of things, especially the boys. The kids would spend a lot of time in the dining and just chatting to them etc. I miss having them inside ☹️

Maybe she feels she has a better bond with her girl than with Basil. I would say 100g in 3 weeks isn’t a worrying gain. It’s roughly 33.3G a week. She is still fairly young