• Dying, terminal illness and euthanasia: New sensitive support guide for guinea pig owners Please Click Here

Enrichment for hamsters?

Betsy

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I remember that I also changed the substrate every so often to shredded paper from a cross cut shredder as my hammies used to love digging around in it. I would make it at least 3" deep.

Hannah_xx

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Technically speaking, dust baths are not safe for the same reason as sawdust—it’s just far too dusty for their sensitive respiratory systems. Sand baths are what really should be used, but even then commercial bath sands are basically dust baths nowadays.

The hamster community now recommends children’s play sand since it’s a little more coarse and a lot less dusty :) Just sift and bake before using to get any nasties out and you’re set to go!

Another note: usually, syrian hamsters won’t actually bathe in sand like a dwarf would. But, most find a lot of enjoyment in a new substrate to dig in, especially one that’s rough enough to keep their nails worn on :)
Yeah I called it a dust bath but only bought good quality chinchilla sand for my hamsters.
My long haired Syrian also enjoyed her sand bath.