• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eric is in a bad way :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
glad he had a good night, i wonder if he was being bullied? interesting.

I used avipro plus for my lads and they loved the taste of it.

Hope hes ok x

I just weighed him again and he's gained 50g (since 4am). I think that's water weight. He's still not right but he's feeling more like his usual shape and he's bright and alert. I'm going to try to get as much critical care and puree in him as possible over the day to try to accelerate his weight gain.

First 2ml done. Same again in an hour!

To make things worse I found one of my rabbits dead this morning. So I've had to take a day off work to wait for the pet cremation people and to nurse a sick guinea pig and to keep an eye on my rabbit's bereaved partner (although she is blind and has cognitive difficulties so I don't think she's aware of what's happened). He was called Ted, he was 8 and hadn't been ill, although he had had various problems during his life which we always suspected had an underlying cause. We assumed it had been a tooth problem as he had a nasty abscess last year. I suspect his death is related to this in some way.

omg what a week you are having, sorry about your bunny, hope its a better outcome for eric x

Actually, I broke up with my boyfriend of 4 years on Monday as well! They say these things come in 3s. 2 fails so far... I'm really hoping I can do better with Eric.

Actually, I broke up with my boyfriend of 4 years on Monday as well! They say these things come in 3s. 2 fails so far... I'm really hoping I can do better with Eric.

aw you poor thing, are you ok? Is it amicable? Third time lucky with Eric then ;)

Yeah, we're still friends (or will be at some point).

Eric's had his 2nd 2mls of puree, it's critical care+frutapura+biolapis (he wouldn't take the fibreplex either). He's not happy about the syringe feeding but is letting me do it. Bless him, he was trying to push my hand away with his little hand x)

I've noticed when Eric's been ill before that he seems to know I'm trying to help and gets v affectionate. That makes me feel better.

Another thought - Eric is eating pellets in his little bedroom cage, he hasn't stopped eating since I put him in there and is more alert than he was in the big house. Is it possible that the girls are bullying him? They've all been together for over a year and there've been no problems previously but they have got quite boisterous since they've grown up. He seems to be enjoying a bit of peace.

My husband and I have these thoughts that pigs tend to eat more when in new environment, because they think it's someone else's place and because they don't see it as their home they think they'd better have as much food as possible before strangers comes in and takes it away, they are quite competitive if not greedy about their food, in the end :)

Yeah, we're still friends (or will be at some point).

Eric's had his 2nd 2mls of puree, it's critical care+frutapura+biolapis (he wouldn't take the fibreplex either). He's not happy about the syringe feeding but is letting me do it. Bless him, he was trying to push my hand away with his little hand x)

I've noticed when Eric's been ill before that he seems to know I'm trying to help and gets v affectionate. That makes me feel better.

So happy he's getting better! Did you manage to get in touch with Vedra yet? Text her to get an appointment, it's the best way to get hold of her if not the only most of the time.

That makes sense. - re eating in a new environment

He also doesn't want to eat the food that's been sitting in there for ages (he's lost interest in his pellets now) but is keen to eat things as soon as they arrive, e.g. the carrot tops I took him an hour or so ago.

I'm going to get some parsley this aft and give him it a bit at a time in between syringe feeds.

I'm etting quite positive now that he will improve - he feels much more himself (in his body I mean - he doesn't look so skinny and scruffy as on Tuesday) although he is quieter than usual. I think I'll let him have a run out of the cage later to see if it cheers him up.

So happy he's getting better! Did you manage to get in touch with Vedra yet? Text her to get an appointment, it's the best way to get hold of her if not the only most of the time.

No I haven't yet. Since he's improving and I'm managing to maintain his weight I'm going to get a stool sample to my vet first because I'm sure that will identify the problem. But if it doesn't I will text her.

is keen to eat things as soon as they arrive, e.g. the carrot tops I took him an hour or so ago

don't give guinea pigs carrot tops:a19: carrots are very good for them, but carrot tops are right on the opposite side. same with beetroots - tops are toxic.

I haven't heard that before.

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12063

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42

I've always fed the tops when I've had them. I know they'll be higher in calcium. I thought they'd be better than the carrots for an upset tummy as they'll be lower sugar?

Anway, I'm getting some parsley for him for tonight. That should be soothing on the tum.

I always used to feed our pigs carrot top, too, but Vedra said it's a complete no to guinea pigs and beetroot leaves are even worse.
Parsley is their favourite, they love it, don't they :) but again - bad for them and should only be fed in very small amounts as a treat

I just went shopping for interesting foods for eric to try and get him interested in food. I got some Naturals meadow hay cookies. They smell lush and whenI gave him one he drages it across the cage. Result.

When he gets bored of that I've got a bag of meadow herbs inc dandelion, nettle clover etc and some parsley and some science selective pellets (he usually has wagg) because he liked those at the vet but they cost twice as much as his normal food. Meh... they're a treat.

Tucking into parsley :) If I can get him eating hay and veg enthusiastically I'll be happy. I'm not too concerned about the pellets.

Just popped my head round the bedroom door - he's voluntarily eating hay. I think I'll leave off the syringe feeding now until morning since he appears to be attempting to eat. He's been 1100g all day - last night he was 1050g which is 250g less than his normal weightof 1300g, when I first noticed he was ill he was 1150g so at least it's moving in the right direction now - I just hope he continues to gain tomorrow and that he's over the worst.

don't give guinea pigs carrot tops:a19: carrots are very good for them, but carrot tops are right on the opposite side. same with beetroots - tops are toxic.

Carrot tops are fine for piggies. Mine love them!

It sounds like things are going well with Eric so far. You also seem to have a good vet, and I really can see no need for long trips to Vedra.

Sorry about your bunny. I hope things start to pick up for you soon.

x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back