• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Euthanasia - was this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Layla - NSGPR

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Very sadly on Saturday evening I had to have Raphael (one of the rescue guineas with me) put to sleep as he had deteriorated very rapidly and was suffering. It was a very difficult decision for me to make, but I felt it was the only choice I had left and leaving him would have left him suffering and to have drawn out painful death.

Usually when I have taken my pets to be pts, which has only been a very few times, I have not stayed with them as I have found it too upsetting. With the little ones I have been told by the vet that they will give them gas to sedate them so they don't feel the needle and suffer and then give them the anaesthetic intravenously to stop their heart.

Now I decided to stay with Raphael when he was put to sleep as I felt I wanted to be with him and comfort him. However, the method of euthanasia I saw I felt was very upsetting, caused him pain and suffering and was not quick and peaceful. And not at all what I was expecting.

As I was signing the consent for the vet came in to the room and put the injection into Raphael's stomach, he cried out at this and struggled. It felt like ages, but the injection certainly wasn't working, and I think he was still conscious, lying on his side trying to run. I suppose this went on for about 60 seconds. The vet then said it wasn't working and that she would give him more. This time she put the needle through his rib cage towards his heart, again he flinched and cried at this, she then removed the needle and put it in his stomach and put the rest of the anaesthetic in. I can't remember exactly what happened then, I think he curled his head under and stopped moving, but his heart continued for another 30-45 seconds. She then said he was dead.

Now I came away feeling shocked and distressed, I felt that although he was out of pain now, he had not had a peaceful death and that he had suffered. It was my understanding that the anaesthetic liquid burnt and I was worried he had felt this. I also couldn't imagine the pain of having a big needled plunged into your stomach and lungs.

I haven't observed a euthanasia before so I wondered if this was a normal procedure and way of doing it? For me I thought it was quite inhumane. I remember watching a documentary showing that vets are taught to pts small animals by injecting into the stomach. Also maybe he was unconscious and it was just reflex reactions I was seeing.

It just wasn't a nice experience for me, and that wasn't what I was expecting to see.

Awww so sad hope your ok. The whole thing sound's a bit odd to me,most people say there's some spasm's but no pain, what you describe sound's horrible:(

I feel like i have a season ticket at the moment.
Normally they put the needle in a vein and then its seconds.
I'm so sorry you had to go through something as distressing as that x

I have always stayed with any of my piggies, and one of the vets uses the stomach injection. It took some getting used to, but thankfully it was always over in a second or two and there was never more than a surprised yelp at the feel of the needle and no suffering. Strangely, even my hubby insists on being there even though it REALLY upsets him. It is certainly not an experience anybody wants to go through at any time.

I am so sorry that it didn't work out with poor Raphael. What a nighmare!

BIG HUG

Last edited:
I thought you were surposed to gas them first to make them asleep, thats what our vet does, otherwise its to distressing .Thats not right what happened to your poor piggy.

How awful for you, when my girls have been pts they have been sedated first (gas) and then the injection was administered into the leg vein, both girls went very peacefully. although a while ago my cat Bobby had to be pts (cancer) and I found that quite distressing he had the initial dose of anesthetic which made him immobile but it wasn't enough to complete the job and the vet had to inject him straight into the heart. Whether or not he was awareI dont know but it was extemly upsetting. After reading your post I think if any vet would suggest this I would say no. You have my utmost sympathy. xx

How awful for you. :( I don't stay with them (really don't want to), but I always request that they are sedated first.

omg thats awful - I hope I never have to go through that 8... though I have thought about whether I would like to stay with any animal that is being put down or just to wait outside - I think I would feel like I was abandoning them if I didn't stay but would I be able to forget what happened?

So sorry you had to go through what you did think I would have serious words with that vet if I was you xx

I've had mine pts with the needle sedation (so I could hold them as they are close to me and dont want to go into some cold lonely room to be put in a tank). This then sends them into a deep sleep, my vet checks this very thoughrougly then puts him to sleep - and I've never ever seen anything destressing. I would be so upset and angry if that happened to me.

you poor thing, that sounds absolutely horrific, poor piggy and poor you.

My vet uses the gas procedure and explained fully to me each of the two times i have been that they do the gas so the piggy is asleep and doesnt feel the tummy injection as it can be painful for them.

I cant believe the vet did all this with you in the room, maybe i am being a bit naive there, but...........................................

Try not to dwell on it if you possibly can, as least the little darling is at peace now and knows no more pain.

Rip fella xxxxxxxxxxx

I'm so very sorry for your distressing loss of Raphael. You have my sincere sympathy :( Huge internet hugs to you x x x

I (thankfully) have only had my old dog put to sleep, so can't comment, but would expect the injection to be administered into a vein if possible

However, my ex had a cat who was suffering liver failure pts and she was given the injection in her kidneys. Poor Suki didn't feel the effects of the injection straight away and cried out :(

I would always stay with them though. I would want them to feel as safe as possible in their last moments with me comforting and holding them close. I think it comes from leaving my Grandma's old dog at the vet when it was her time and her seeing us walking out of the room. My Grandad couldn't stay though - he was in pieces

Sleep well Raphael xx

Last edited:
I'm so very sorry for your distressing loss of Raphael. You have my sincere sympathy :( Huge internet hugs to you x x x

I (thankfully) have only had my old dog put to sleep, so can't comment, but would expect the injection to be administered into a vein if possible

However, my ex had a cat who was suffering liver failure pts and she was given the injection in her kidneys. Poor Suki didn't feel the effects of the injection straight away and cried out :(

I would always stay with them though. I would want them to feel as safe as possible in their last moments with me comforting and holding them close. I think it comes from leaving my Grandma's old dog at the vet when it was her time and her seeing us walking out of the room. My Grandad couldn't stay though - he was in pieces

I'm the same, i would never ever leave my babies at that time, i have been with two piggies and my beautiful old best four legged friend :0 but i had to....I'm their mummy! i carried my dog home in her blanket and sat with her for hours sobbing...devastated...amazing how time heals.

Thanks all for your kind comments.

After what I saw I will definitely not ever leave any of my animals to be put to sleep without me there, I will make sure that doesn't happen again and will request them to be sedated first.

I was really taken back as I didn't know what to expect, well from what I have been told in the past I was expecting him to be sedated first. It all happened so quickly, I was still filling in the form when she started, so I was completely off guard.

I really hope I am never witness to that again, it was truly awful when I was trying to put him out of his suffering.

An I certainly won't use that vet again. At least Raphael is at peace now.

I have had 2 hamsters PTS and the injection was in their stomach and they seemed to go peacefully. Poor Raphael, RIP Little baby.

With larger animals like cats and dogs they inject straight into a vein and it's quite quick, they just slip away. But with guineas they can't do that because they're so small, so they usually gas them first and then inject into the heart. I'm sorry you had to go through that; it doesn't sound 'normal' to me at all.

My vet uses gas first, then at least they are unaware of the next bit.

Sophie
x

Thanks all for your kind comments.

After what I saw I will definitely not ever leave any of my animals to be put to sleep without me there, I will make sure that doesn't happen again and will request them to be sedated first.

I was really taken back as I didn't know what to expect, well from what I have been told in the past I was expecting him to be sedated first. It all happened so quickly, I was still filling in the form when she started, so I was completely off guard.

I really hope I am never witness to that again, it was truly awful when I was trying to put him out of his suffering.

An I certainly won't use that vet again. At least Raphael is at peace now.

i definately wouldnt use that vet again...how does she live with herself?

Hi - I am so sorry to hear of the experience that Raphael had to endure for his final moments. It has made we feel very sad and have tears in my eyes after reading it.

I really do feel for you and have often questioned this routine myself.

I have only ever experience one of my animals being pts and that was with my lovely yorkie called Pip, 8 years ago. All the vet did was insert a needle in his paw and that was it. Very very sad though and upsetting.

The other occasion was only in April this year when I had to have my dear Daisy (piggie) pts. I did not witness this though and did ask the vet what happens etc. She said she would administer some gas first and then a little injection.

She gave me the option of whether to go with her or not, or to stay where I was. I chose to stay as the decision to put her to sleep was only made that moment as we only went for a follow up appointment, but the vet noticed that Daisy had developed secondary problems etc.

I don't know..................I don't know if I could witness it actual happening but either way it's all so very upsetting and not nice for any of us to go through.

I am so sorry for your loss - take each day at a time.

Beth xx

How awful! Raphael was a beautiful boy. Very insensitive of the vets. I think i'd put in a letter of complaint and explain that they have now lost your custom. I'm sure they usually get quite a bit from you so it might make them rethink their practices instead of trying to save cash and causing unnessesary suffering in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back