• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Extra toe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
You may remember that my darling Jin had an extra toe on his left back foot.. They are a genetic fault that are in some breeds..

It never bothered him and he never got it caught.

Anyone else got a piggy with an extra toe?

xx Mrs Player xx

one of my girls quincee has only one toe on the back of one foot, does'nt ever seem to have bothered her

None for me but a lot of owners confused spurs with extra toes.

Yeah, I see why.. Ton had a big spur on his foot that looked like a nail (I knew it wasn't)! After a little trim, it doesn't anymore..

x

My Self Blacks throw the occasional youngster with an extra toe on both of the hind feet but it's not a problem and doesn't cause the pig any trouble. The extra toe isn't joined by bone but it does have a blood vessel so if the pig has potential for showing I usually remove the extra toe when they are a week or so old by tying cotton tightly around it and then it just drops off with no discomfort to the pig.

Cobweb

This is also common in abyssianin cavies. Some believe that is also genetic so it is best not to use these animals to breed from.

I have had Abbys with extra toes in the past. Some have been the type which look like they are daggling, just attached by a bit of skin, these I have removed whilst the babies were very young. I have also had others where there is actually bone/blood flow to the toe, these I have left.

:'(Yes bit concerned my new Abby of 7 wks has an extra toe on back but must have caught it as it is nearly off.Any ideas?

My new baby has an extra toe but I havent taken him from his mummy yet.
Seemingly I have to wait until he is older then have it removed?

i have a two year old male (basil) with an extra toe, its very wobbly but hasnt caused him any probs ;)

My young Abby with a dangling extra toe has now had it tied off she didn't flinch so hope she will be ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back